[meteorite-list] Sweaty Fingers, Chlorides, and Chondrites

From: lakewind_at_infionline.net <lakewind_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Dec 20 13:56:09 2004

Hello all,
While I agree that keeping specimens dry is the best thing sometimes you
have to take more drastic measures. I've had two Ghubara slices, an SaU 067
and a Tsarev that started to buckle and break. I tried drying techniques
with alcohol and oven-heating but the only thing that cured them was the
NaOH soaking process (a good 2-3 weeks worth) followed by a half hour in
the oven at 200 degrees F. I had to repolish after the process but at least
the meteorites stopped disintegrating. No doubt these specimens are now
useless to science as such but at least they are intact :-)
Bob