[meteorite-list] Sweaty Fingers, Chlorides, and Chondrites

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Dec 20 15:17:40 2004

Hi Stephen and List,

I found the best way to preserve chondrites when cut is the following:

If the specimen comes with a lacquer coating remove it immediately as it
only serves to trap moisture inside the specimen.

Polish it to the highest degree possible. If under polished it will attract
moisture because of a greater surface area. If over polished you will
sometimes lose contrast. Both sides should be polished immediately after
cutting to reduce the surface area that tends to trap moisture. Every
meteorite is different so you have to continue to monitor the specimen
throughout the process.

Never cut or polish a meteorite using tap water because the chlorine
combines with water later on and will slowly disintegrate the piece. After
polishing the specimen clean it using 99.9% pure ethyl alcohol in a
hypersonic cleaner. Remove it from the bath and wipe it immediately with a
lint free cloth. Then slowly heat the specimen to drive off any remaining
liquids. We use an infrared heat lamp with air circulating around the
specimen to drive off excess moisture. We take the specimen up to 150
degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes and then cool it down slowly. If the
alcohol is left to air dry it has a tendency to attract water so it should
always be heated.

And finally, store the specimen in an environment where the temperature does
not change rapidly. More than 12 degrees per hour temperature changes have
detrimental long term affects. I store most specimens at room temperature
with air circulating to prevent condensation which is a real problem in
Washington state.

Hope this helps,

Adam Hupe
The Hupe Collection