[meteorite-list] Problems Posting to the List? A Tech Tip

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Dec 20 18:18:08 2004

Dear Listees:

I know some of you have trouble posting to the List at times, and I
certainly have recently. I wrote to our Listmaster, Art Jones, today
because I'd been trying to post to the List for several days and none
of my posts were getting through, though I was still receiving other
people's posts. Wow, Steve Arnold Chicago is having a sale. Glad I
didn't miss that.

I mentioned to Art that I'd recently upgraded to Mac OS X 10.3 Panther
and am using the built-in Mail 1.3 application (which is great, by the
way). Art asked me to check the message composition, which I did. The
default configuration for Mail 1.3 is to send outgoing messages in Rich
Text, which includes formatting info and options like color, size,
font, etc. Art informed me that Rich Text messages are automatically
rejected by the List bot.

So . . . those of you having trouble posting to the List (hi Jake)
should check the mail formatting options in the preferences, settings
or whatever of your email client. To post to the List, messages must be
composed in Plain Text -- not Rich Text, not HTML. This is not a
Mac-specific issue, but Mac users who have recently upgraded to Panther
will definitely need to alter their mail settings before being able to
post to the M-List.

Just a friendly Tucson tech tip. Please don't write and ask me for "how
to" info for your own system. My tech support office is now closed for
the day ; )

Thanks Art!

Regards,

Geoff N.