[meteorite-list] NPA 01-25-1848 Braunau Meteorite Fall Article

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Dec 20 21:53:02 2004

Paper: Sandusky Clarion
City: Sandusky, Ohio
Date: Tuesday, January 25, 1848
Page: 5

A REMARKABLE AEROLITE

     On the 14th July last, a remarkable aerolite fell at Braunau, in
Bohemia. Two fragments were found, one weighing fifteen, the other
twenty-one kilogrammes. The aerolite appeared to proceed, as is very often
the case, from a small black cloud. The smaller fragment fell upon a house,
pierce the roof, struck the beam which caused it to deviate slightly from
its course, passed through a ceiling composed of white clay and straw, and
entered a room where several persons were assembled, but, fortunately, no
one was hurt. A circumstance worthy of remark was, that the straw of the
ceiling traversed by the meteor was not in the least carbonized; it only
appeared of a brighter yellow, with semi-metalic lustre; pieces if straw
even adhering to the stone, presented no trace of carbonization. A fragment
has been analyzed by M. Fischer, of Breslau, who found in it, besides
sulphuretted iron, carbon, phosphorus and bromine. In sawing the mass
globules were inflamed by the friction of the teeth of the saw, and a bright
light produced. Literary Gazette.

(end)

This article refers to the Braunau meteorite. I think the oldest newspaper
article referring to a fall I have so far uncovered.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com