[meteorite-list] Tucson 2005....here I don't come

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Dec 21 04:06:31 2004

Mark and list,

>>> Mark Bostock Wrote:

>Looking forward to meeting Dr. "Jack" Schmitt. It is hard not to be an
>American and a NASA-astronaut fan. I do not know how those outside the
US >feel, but to me, at my age. NASA was always there and always pushing
that >limit.

Yes it would certainly be a real treat to meet Dr Jack Schmitt, I really
envy those that manage get to Tucson! I met Edgar Mitchell (Apollo 14
LM pilot) at an Astronomy show here in the UK a few years ago, that was
a real experience, nice bloke, and his autograph has pride of place my
wall.

Coming from outside the US, I have always a great respect for what
America achieved, during the Apollo years, and after. And indeed all the
other space programs, indeed our own European space program has come on
leaps and bounds in recent years.

Does make one wonder where the space program is really going, I just
really don't believe President Bush's moon/mars landings are going to
happen, anytime soon

Personally I think they are just an excuse to cut back on all the
current science missions. It's the usual one, where they cut all the
short term budgets, with a view to long term 'target' which then
vaporizes in 10 years time, thus saving short term money, the oldest
budget trick in the book. But I am sure at least the rest of the world
won't stand still, I have a feeling the space race will hot up very
soon, and not in Nasa's favor unfortunately.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Best
Mark Ford