[meteorite-list] $20k for possible moon rock!

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Dec 21 10:39:04 2004

Here's an update this guy put in his auction description for the "Martian meteorite"

Additional information and corrections: I have understood this item to be of "iron" type because of
its extreme weight per size. (It weighed 5 pounds and 9 ounces on a postal scale). Also, i found
this item in 1974 or 1975, and Tulsa, Oklahoma is in the central region of the United States. I had
answered an e-mail to the effect it was found in 1979. I am personally the one who found the item 30
years ago.

When checked with a magnet, it exhibited very slight magnetism. The people i have spoken with that
have examined it said that as a meteorite heats going through our atmosphere and re-cools, that it
picks up the magnetism of our planet. I also understand that a meteorite can "pop" as it plummets
toward the earth.

This item seems to have been a piece of a much larger piece at one time. Only one sixth or so has a
"melted" look to it, the rest does not. Could it be that it exploded as it tumbled to earth? I don't
know.

What i do personally know from my own research is that a martian meteorite is worth a ton of money,
(probably $300,000. to $600,000. dollars). That is why i have listed it as a "gamblers auction". If
it is indeed a martian meteorite i stand to lose the bet by a very large margin.

After viewing the 13 certified martian meteorites found on the Smithsonian Institutions website, i
have noticed that NONE of them are even remotely the same to view. I could find no "standard" by
looking at them as to what a martian meteorite should look like.

I have understood the item needs to be cut and tested with chemicals, etc. to be certified or denied
as such . I have made efforts to authenticate the item because of the value if it is indeed a
martian artifact. I had no idea that The Smithsonian Institution was not recieving such materials
for testing until the day i was headed for D.C. to have it analyzed. When i discovered they were not
accepting such materials i decided to post this auction as "a possible martian meteorite".

My reasons for going to auction are simple: It has been questionable to all who have seen it.
Normally if 4 out of 5 dentists think you have a cavity, you do. One thing i believe is for sure:
Whether it be the buyer or the seller; somebody will come out ahead from this auction. Far ahead if
it turns out to be a martian meteorite!

Thanks to all for looking. I will try to answer any other questions to the best of my ability. I
fully intend to have the item tested by a labratory i was pointed toward in an e-mail from a party
who has seen it on auction here, but it will be after this auction ends. I couldn't hardly live with
myself at the current reserve price if i found out for sure it was what i believe it could be.
Surely you will all understand that.

After the auction, and analysis, i will notify e-bay of the findings by such laboratory. Have a
Merry Christmas, and thanks again for all of the attention to my auction.

and the description he has added to his shark tooth auction (after looking more closely at the best
tooth, he might be looking at a $10.00-$15.00 item instead of a $4.00-$5.00 as I had originally
suggested).

After recieving many e-mails i have decided to challenge prospective bidders to look at every shark
tooth photo on the auction site and see if you find a tooth that resembles the large one i have
listed. Of all the megalodon teeth i have seen none are the same shape or configuration as the one i
have listed in this auction. Correct me please if you find a tooth of the same shape and design.

Since it does not resemble any of the others photo'd i will assume that i have listed an artifact of
greater value than some are claiming. Yes, there are larger teeth available, and for less money.
There are also Corvettes available from $3,000. to $60,000. They are all Corvettes, but something
distinguishes one from another.

The large tooth seems to be in its own category. The medium sized tooth had recieved a local bid of
$175.00 from a local gift shop who expected to mark it up for resale. $650.00 opening bid might be
"pocket change" on this particular item... i thank those of you who have e-mailed me for bringing
this to my attention