[meteorite-list] A Christmas Story of a Different Kind (Off-topic)

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Dec 23 17:11:12 2004

Now - not tomorrow is the time for me ...

.. to wish everybody a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.
Why now? About two hours ago, I was writing Christmas mails
when suddenly the telephone rang. I thought it was my daughter
but it was the wife of one of my neighbors. Our families have been
friends for almost thirty years now. About seven years ago, he
had to undergo surgery because of a tumor in his brain. Ever
since his physical and mental health has deteriorated - slowly but
steadily until he had his first stroke some time ago. Another stroke
followed a few weeks ago leaving him unable to walk and rendering
him incontinent. Back now to the telephone call - his wife urged us
to come over as quickly as possible because he had fallen out of
his wheelchair and she was unable to lift him up. We ran over to
their house and there he was, on the floor, face down, a poor,
pitiable, helpless creature. We helped get him back into his
wheelchair, he was as heavy as a rock and I offered my help
holding him upright while his wife changed his diapers before
putting him to bed (with joint forces).

I was very depressed, sad, and worn-out when we returned home
but, in spite of or probably because of this occurrence, I do
think this year's Christmas will be something special, a precious
moment of contemplation and reflection for us here.

Wishing everybody all the best,
A Merry, Merry Christmas,
And a Happy New Year,

Bernd