[meteorite-list] Re: Harvey Awards

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Dec 23 17:33:47 2004

Dear CJ:

The Harvey Awards are the "Oscars" of the meteorite collecting
community. They are named in honor of the mighty Harvey Nininger. My
good friend Steve Arnold IMB, and I came up with the idea some years
ago.

They are awarded each year during the Tucson show at Steve's and my
joint birthday part. The awards ceremony is partly a light-hearted,
humorous social event, and partly a way to recognize people who have
made outstanding contributions to the world of meteorite collecting
during the previous year.

The actual awards vary slightly from year to year. In 2004 they were
lovely lucite columns with a cut and polished 1/2 stone of NWA 869
affixed on top. Each award is accompanied by a rather grand
certificate. Five or six awards are given each year, but some of them
are usually joint awards (i.e. Richard and Dorothy Norton).

Past winners have included many luminaries from the community, and we
shall be recognizing more of them in a few weeks' time. The Harvey
Awards will return on Feb. 4, 2005. Come on out to Tucson and join in
the fun.

As requested by my pal Dave Freeman, here are some photos from the 2002
Harvey Awards:

http://www.paleozoic.org/tucson/events.htm

  . . . and the 2003 Awards (about half-way down the page)

http://www.paleozoic.org/shows/tucson-2003/pages/2003-gallery-2.htm

Regards to all,

Geoff N.