[meteorite-list] Asteroid Gets Initial Elevated Risk Rating, But Impact Unlikely (Asteroid 2004 MN4)

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Dec 24 02:19:40 2004

Hi,

    The best chance of refining the orbit of 2004 MN4 lies in a search
for sky photos of the times and places in the past when this object
should have been visible.

    In the case of the last object with a chance of hitting the Earth
in the future (in 2018), the successful search for what are called
"pre-discovery" images from years previous to its official "discovery"
refined the orbit enough to eliminate that future collision
probability.

    If such images could be found for 2004 MN4's previous approaches,
the further back the better, the orbit could be determined with much
greater precision than observations over the next six months. The
object is certainly large enough (and hence bright enough) to have
shown up in past sky plates.

    The chief difficulty in finding such images is that the object's
orbit lies mostly inside the Earth's orbit, to Sunward, where
observation is difficult if not impossible for most of the year. The
search would have to be for the periods each year after April 13, when
the object is exterior to the Earth's orbit.

    You'll recall there was a very, very close approach just earlier
this week by a very small object (16 feet) which also approached from
the Sunward (blind) side.

    Often forgot in these discussions is the fact that while the
probability of an impact is often low or negligible at any one crossing
of the Earth's orbit, in the long run, the chance of eventually
impacting with a low-inclination Earth-crossing object is virtually
100%.

    It takes the Earth approximately 432 seconds for its entire
diameter to pass a specific point on its orbital path, creating 200
chances to be impacted at a specific point every day. In the case of an
object with exactly the same inclination as the Earth which crossed the
Earth's orbit on the same day at the same point every year, a collision
would be inevitable at some point in that 73,050 year cycle (365.25
times 200).

    And objects with very low inclinations will always be perturbed,
repeatedly, into and out of a matching inclination with the Earth's
orbit. In other words, sooner or later, they're gonna get ya!

    While we are busily cataloging the easy-to-observe exterior
objects, very little is being done to discover the hard-to-observe
Sunward objects because the strategies are hard (i.e., expensive) to
implement, like photographing the western horizon just before dawn to
catch objects that have just crossed the Earth's orbit.

    Yet Aten class Earth crossers --- whose numbers are not well known
nor even well-estimated --- are vastly more dangerous than the better
cataloged Apollos and Amors, for just that reason.

Sterling K. Webb