[meteorite-list] Mining Maricouagan

From: chris sharp <casper_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Dec 27 14:04:07 2004

Hi Paul and List Members,

>From the little research I have done I think it is fair to say that
back in the 1800's meteorite craters were considered to be prospective
for precious metals.

The link between prospect and crater probably got lost back in the
days when Sudbury and Witwatersrand were considered to be the result
of some remarkable igneous flows.

Truth tends to win out, with both fields now considered by some to be
related to impact events.

Anglo Plats thought the link worthy enough to investigate further and
embarked on a re examination of/for meteorite craters round the world
a couple of years ago. (Was an announcement on their web page many
moons ago.)

I sometimes wonder whether diamondiferous kimberlite pipes could be
explained by super high speed comets impacting a craton and creating
an instantaneous "hot spot". If you look at the timeing, kimberlite
pipes seem to have been created in synchronous time periods.

interesting little aside that one...

hope we ALL have a happy and peaceful New Year

best regards to all

Christopher Sharp

Paul wrote on Sat Dec 25 11:25:32 EST 2004
(snip)

It seems like that known commercial base-metal deposits
associated with impact craters were only determined to

be associated with an impact crater after the mineral deposits
were found. Is this the first time that someone has gone to
an impact crater with no known ore deposits and gone
prospecting for them since Barringer's ill-fatedattempts
at Barringer Crater?

The official paperwork on it can be found at:

http://www.sedar.com/DisplayProfile.do?lang=EN&issuerType=03&issuerNo=00017383
http://www.sedar.com/DisplayCompanyDocuments.do?lang=EN&issuerNo=00017383

Best regards,

Paul