[meteorite-list] 2004 MN4 size estimate

From: Meteoryt.net <marcin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Dec 27 18:02:42 2004

> Marcin Cimala wrote:
>
> > As You all see in TV, Indonesia and other countries was devastated by
> > Tsunami produced by big Earthquake. How You think, what size of
> > meteorite/asteroide can produce the same effects ?
> > 10m? 50m ? Ofcourse, impact in the same place where was earthquake
center.

> I can't give a precise answert to that question, but I think that a 10m or
50m
> asteroid would be to small. You would probably need an asteroid in the
100m
> range to cause these effects over thousands of kilometers.

hmm 100m its a verry big stone. But in that case this for will make less
damages than if this hit ground or not ? Becouse here is only tsunami. In
other case we will be have earthquake, tons of dust in air, and all other
symtoms like from atomic bomb explosion, so shock waves, heat waves, air
waves

> There is, however, a simulation of a 1.1km asteroid impacting ~500km
before
> the US east coast. It generates Tsunamis up to >100m in height on the US
> coastline, and ~10m on the European coast. A graph showing this is
available
> here:
>
> http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/1950da/Ward_Asphaug_fig2_martin-SMALL.jpg

hmm, they should make a info how deep inside north america tsunami will go

Anyway thanks for interesting informations

http://www.Meteoryt.net marcin_at_meteoryt.net
http://www.PolandMET.com marcin_at_polandmet.com
http://www.Gao-Guenie.com GSM +48(607)535 195
--------[ Member of: Polish Meteoritical Society ]--------