[meteorite-list] NWA 2624 Pallasite-Like Ureilite

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Dec 29 17:10:46 2004

Dear list members,

In order to answer a question asked on the list about the makeup of NWA
2624, Ureilite, I sent the question and photos of the slice to the lead
scientist who classified this stone. He said the slice does not match the
sample he classified. I do not know what happened here as I am VERY careful
with keeping type sample, numbers, etc. with the proper stones I submit. He
said for me to "not sell any and to send a secondary type sample in that has
the larger olivines." After hearing this, I cancelled all remaining NWA 2624
auctions and, out of complete fairness to those who have purchased some, I
prefer not to ship these out and would also prefer to refund your payments.
If the stone comes back as a "not as rare" of a meteorite, I would like the
opportunity to offer it at a lower price. If it turns out to be something
better, then we will see how it goes.

I have seen at times where a type sample gets mixed up in the different labs
the type sample goes through and then caught before hitting the market. I
hope this is just a case of the slice I showed has the large crystals and
the scientists wants to "make sure" the type sample sent in is indeed the
same or an error has occured. He sent me a scanned image of the unpolished
type sample and it looks the same as a sample without the larger olivines.

I apologize for theis and be rest assured, I will take care of this quickly
and be fair to those who have purchased some of this already. To those who
have already bid and won some of this, please email me "off list" with your
thoughts.

I now have to explain why I am an hour late for a dinner reservation.
Figures, the one time during the year I make dinner plans and something
comes up.

Best regards, I will keep everyone updated as I get the news,

Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection
naturesvault (eBay)
gmhupe_at_tampabay.rr.com