[meteorite-list] UPDATE-NWA 2624 Ureilite

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Dec 29 17:46:49 2004

Dear list,

After talking further with the scientist involved with the classification of
NWA 2624 and sending more photos of the exterior crust and a scanned image
of a slice without the larger crystals, he said it looks the same but wants
me to send him a sample that has the larger crystals to give its true
classification. At this point, he states that it is "most likely" the same
as the sample he classified, only it could be better. He further states that
if it matches the type sample and that large olivine crystals are present in
the stone than it may be a Polymict Ureilite, with maybe only 6 known ones
(Bernd?). This will be good for those who have already bid and won some of
these. In this case, you will have an even rarer ureilite than what was
thought at first and I will honor the bid amount you won with.

What I would like to do is hold off on shipping the specimens that were
already won until I hear back with the updated classification after they
receive a second type specimen with the larger crystals.

For those who have already won and/or paid for the specimens, please email
me off list to let me know what you prefer to do.

Again, I apologize for the panic on this, but at least it looks like a
mix-up did NOT occur. The worst that may have happened was that it was
under-classified instead of the other way around.

Now I shall try to catch up to my dinner arrangements, good thing there are
several friends there so I don't stand out too much as being super late!

Best regards,

Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection
naturesvault (eBay)