[meteorite-list] shipping again

From: Dave Harris <entropydave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Dec 31 17:40:37 2004

Happy new year friends!

Shipping is critical - you are only entitled to charge for the materials, a
respectable amount of 'labour' and the actual postage - anything else is,
from eBay's point of view "fee avoidance" - that is why they take a dim view
of shady shipping costs.

Personally I would only bid on a heavy item from the US, especially if it
said " US only", after emailing the seller.
I have never had a seller refuse to sell to me because I live in the UK! I
know the shipping is going to be more - common sense!

As I told Tom, (and I am sure Tom won't mind me quoting from my own email to
him),I had a situation just this week...

"On the other hand, despite only stating "UK buyers only", I have just sold
an enormous box of rocks weighing in at 40lb (!) to the States and the
shipping is $200 for a $100 item.
I gave the buyer a) a month to pay and b) also gave him the option many
times to pull out of the sale with no negativity as I realised that perhaps
he acted on impulse! It is no biggy, just recoup the costs from eBay as a
non-paying bidder - sale mutually agreed to be cancelled and that is that.
I did not charge him for the running around I did getting the best price nor
the materials it took to pack...
That's the way to do it!

...same thing happened when I sold my 6" Newtonian.....

just common sense and decency"

non-dealer dave
Sec.BIMS
IMCA #0092