[meteorite-list] NP 04-1947 Sikhote, Fesenkov

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:21 2004

------=_NextPart_001_003D_01C3F0EF.D21DE390

Paper: Reno Evening Gazette
City: Reno, Nevada
Date: Monday, April 28, 1947
Page: 9

Russians Study Meteorite Fall
MOSCOW, April 28 (AP) - V. G. Fesenkov, chairman of the meteorite committ=
ee of the USSR Academy of Science, said today it was possible that a mino=
r planet collided with the earth on Feb. 12, 1947, when a missile, descri=
bed as a meteorite, fell in eastern Siberia.
"It is now becoming increasingly clear," Fesenkov stated, "that it was an=
 exceptional phenomenon in many respects. For one thing some of the fragm=
ents smashed through the surface state of soil and penetrated into bedroc=
k, leaving several dozen craters, the biggest of them about 75 feet in di=
ameter.
"The combination of circumstances required for a heavenly body to strike =
our planet with sufficient force to create craters is exceedingly rare."
Fesenkov said that it was "quite possible that what happened in the far e=
ast was the collision of a minor planet with the earth." He said a Soviet=
 expedition was studying the area where the missile fell.

Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor=
 and meteorite articles.

------=_NextPart_001_003D_01C3F0EF.D21DE390

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><FONT size=3D2=
> <P>Paper: Reno Evening Gazette</P> <P>City: Reno, Nevada</P> <P>Date: M=
onday, April 28, 1947</P> <P>Page: 9</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Russians Study =
Meteorite Fall</P> <P>MOSCOW, April 28 (AP) - V. G. Fesenkov, chairman of=
 the meteorite committee of the USSR Academy of Science, said today it wa=
s possible that a minor planet collided with the earth on Feb. 12, 1947, =
when a missile, described as a meteorite, fell in eastern Siberia.</P> <P=
>"It is now becoming increasingly clear," Fesenkov stated, "that it was a=
n exceptional phenomenon in many respects. For one thing some of the frag=
ments smashed through the surface state of soil and penetrated into bedro=
ck, leaving several dozen craters, the biggest of them about 75 feet in d=
iameter.</P> <P>"The combination of circumstances required for a heavenly=
 body to strike our planet with sufficient force to create craters is exc=
eedingly rare."</P> <P>Fesenkov said that it was "quite possible that wha=
t happened in the far east was the collision of a minor planet with the e=
arth." He said a Soviet expedition was studying the area where the missil=
e fell.</P></FONT><BR><BR>Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free=
 on-line archive of meteor and meteorite articles.</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_003D_01C3F0EF.D21DE390--