[meteorite-list] Nininger quoted newspaper + Oriented Sikhote

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:22 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0037_01C3F2E0.A4BBC0F0

Paper: Nevada State Journal
City: Reno, Nevada
Date: Thursday, June 26, 1947
Page: 1

Meteorite Hits Siberia, Forms 30 Big Craters
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz., June 25 (U.P.) - Meteorite, estimated to weigh several =
tons, fell near Vladivostock, Siberia, Feb. 12, Dr. H. H. Nininger, Direc=
tor of the American Meteorite Museum near here, was notified today by the=
 meteorite committee of the Russian Academy of Sciences at Moscow.
The Russians advised Dr. Nininger that 30 craters were formed by the blaz=
ing visitor from the heavens, the largest of which measured 80 feet in di=
ameter and 28 feet in depth. A "considerable" amount of forest was destro=
yed, the Russians said.

Hello List,
Today's Sikhote article quotes Nininger, and while I think I do have a fe=
w more papers, and can could share photos of Sikhotes in my collection ti=
ll every one blocked me, this will be the last installment in my little t=
ribute to Sikhote. The Nininger collection of meteorites was published =
in 1950, early in this man's career. Interesting to note is at the time =
it notes no Sikhote meteorite in his collection. The cold war of course =
made it difficult for Western and Eastern scientist to exchange specimens=
 and ideals. =20

Today's Sikhote photo is a 89g oriented Sikhote I purchased from Jim Stro=
pe. Many of my oriented Sikhotes have come from Jim. My favorite orient=
ed Sikhote I got from Jim, it is a 5-6g very very flat oriented meteorite=
 that fell like a leaf. Sadly, he went into hiding over a year ago and h=
as not been seen since. =20
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colsikhoteoriented89g.html

Jason Utas, son of Peter Utas, or as someone labeled them "LA Father and =
Son", had a really cool cratered Sikhote with a bb sized crater on one si=
de (in Tucson). I just tried to find Bob Vernish's e-mail to the list wi=
th the Sikhote crater articles but could not find them in the archives...=
perhaps someone else can. One would think that these little craters would=
 be more common then they are. Perhaps they weather off fairly fast? I su=
ggest everyone to look over their Sikhotes closely, I found no craters in=
 mine....:-(. The Utas, I should note, are two of this hobbies friendli=
est hunter/collectors, and I'm waiting for you two to invite me on your n=
ext hunt....;^)
Thank you to the list members that sent me photos of your Sikhotes. Whil=
e I would have rather seen this be a group thing, it is easy to understan=
d why more and more of the old guys are being quiet. =20
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com

------=_NextPart_001_0037_01C3F2E0.A4BBC0F0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><FONT size=3D2=
> <P>Paper: Nevada State Journal</P> <P>City: Reno, Nevada</P> <P>Date: T=
hursday, June 26, 1947</P> <P>Page: 1</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Meteorite Hits=
 Siberia, Forms 30 Big Craters</P> <P>FLAGSTAFF, Ariz., June 25 (U.P.) - =
Meteorite, estimated to weigh several tons, fell near Vladivostock, Siber=
ia, Feb. 12, Dr. H. H. Nininger, Director of the American Meteorite Museu=
m near here, was notified today by the meteorite committee of the Russian=
 Academy of Sciences at Moscow.</P> <P>The Russians advised Dr. Nininger =
that 30 craters were formed by the blazing visitor from the heavens, the =
largest of which measured 80 feet in diameter and 28 feet in depth. A "co=
nsiderable" amount of forest was destroyed, the Russians said.</P> <P>&nb=
sp;</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Hello List,</P> <P>Today's Sikhote article quote=
s Nininger, and while I think I do have a few more papers, and can could =
share photos of Sikhotes in my collection till every one blocked me, this=
 will be the last installment in my little tribute to Sikhote.&nbsp;&nbsp=
; The Nininger collection of meteorites was published in 1950, early in t=
his man's career.&nbsp; Interesting to note is at the time it notes no Si=
khote meteorite in his collection.&nbsp; The cold war of course made it d=
ifficult for Western and Eastern scientist to exchange specimens and idea=
ls.&nbsp; </P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Today's Sikhote photo is a 89g oriented S=
ikhote I purchased from Jim Strope.&nbsp; Many of my oriented Sikhotes ha=
ve come from Jim.&nbsp; My favorite oriented Sikhote I got from Jim, it i=
s a 5-6g very very flat oriented meteorite that fell like a leaf.&nbsp; S=
adly, he went into hiding over a year ago and has not been seen since. </=
P> <P><A href=3D"http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colsikhoteoriented89g.h=
tml">http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colsikhoteoriented89g.html</A></P> =
<P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Jason Utas, son of Peter Utas, or as someone labeled the=
m "LA&nbsp;Father and Son",&nbsp;had a really cool cratered Sikhote with =
a bb sized crater on one side (in Tucson).&nbsp; I just tried to find Bob=
 Vernish's e-mail to the list with the Sikhote crater articles but could =
not find them in the archives...perhaps someone else can. One would think=
 that these little craters would be more common then they are. Perhaps th=
ey weather off fairly fast? I suggest everyone to look over their Sikhote=
s closely, I found no craters&nbsp;in mine....:-(.&nbsp;&nbsp; The Utas, =
I should note, are two of this hobbies friendliest hunter/collectors, and=
 I'm waiting for you two to invite me on your next hunt....;^)</P> <P>Tha=
nk you to the list members that sent me photos of your Sikhotes.&nbsp; Wh=
ile I would have rather seen this be a group thing, it is easy to underst=
and why more and more of the old guys are being quiet.&nbsp; </P> <P>Mark=
 Bostick</P> <P><A href=3D"http://www.meteoritearticles.com">www.meteorit=
earticles.com</A></P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0037_01C3F2E0.A4BBC0F0--