[meteorite-list] Arizona, Pictures, & People

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:23 2004

--part1_f8.36b56ff2.2d637d54_boundary

Dear List,

As a new addition to this motley crew of meteorite aficionados, I have a few=
=20
comments in general and e-kudos (nice things to say) to pass out.

It was really a surprise to meet so many space rock enthusiasts that are all=
=20
so down to earth and passionate about this subject, which occupies us. 49 o=
ut=20
of 50 of you are great folks! It goes to show what misplaced impressions on=
e=20
can get from reading too much into email messages which in many cases are=20
just accidents or blowing off steam.

The big La Fuente party was fun and a chance to see all the faces although=20
that was best done sooner than later in some cases, - well planned and deser=
ves=20
congratulations. I personally am mentally impaired to remember the names ti=
ed=20
to the faces of people without repeating meeting 5 times, so it is a bit=20
embarrassing to selective mention a few people, and be totally ignorant of t=
he=20
majority of the pairings which went right over my head. =20

Whether your interest was scientific, social or niche, eccentric or well=20
rounded, or collect mania, the interaction made it an experience to remember=
. By=20
plan or chance I ran into some people mentioned here,

Of the dealers, all but one unmentionable were great - Al Lang in particular=
=20
really deserves thanks for all the effort and enthusiasm he put into his=20
showing, as I understand he was still driving back cross country after bring=
ing the=20
magnificent selection of two roomful and a patio of the good stuff. Of=20
course Sergey and Eduardo don't live nearby to Tucson, either so ... all are=
 held=20
in awe. E.T. was a nice person to hang with (thanks for the cap), and the=20
spirits were also so fine at the Reeds' place, that it was the best etching=20=
on my=20
memory of all the slices of the show. Anne and Louis C. add a dimension tha=
t=20
is great and I am privileged to have met them in person. Bob Haag was kind=20
enough to let me touch the otherwise untouchable. Speaking of Tucson, Mike=20
Farmer and Eric's room was very well presented, and the unfinished business=20=
I had=20
(besides splitting a meteorite with Steve Arnold of Arkansas) was with Mike=20=
on=20
that beautiful NWA1942 that I wished and wished I would have done more about=
=20
with its accommodating owner. Although the Hup=E9s didn't have a exhibition=
=20
showing, both were really encouraging, patient with me and another nice and=20=
very=20
curious photographer, and they are appreciated and I guess it was a room ful=
l=20
of their stuff that was sorely missed.

As for the people, I'll have to save that for future emails, as it's already=
=20
time to leave this morning. But I must mention my thanks to a genuinely=20
smiling Richard Norton and his quiet but faithful partner in crime as he kin=
dly=20
took interest in my humble material and dedicated my two books they wrote, t=
hat I=20
happened to have with me. For those who don't know Steve Arnold of Chicago,=
=20
I can say an unplanned chain of events led to us meeting and rooming at the=20
same place, and while Steve and I have become interested in meteorites by=20
diametrically opposite reasons, I can't say that I am genuinely more interes=
ted in=20
meteorites than he, and Steve, congratulations on that beautiful collection=20=
of=20
meteoritic material in that to die for slice of Howardite that I kept buggin=
g=20
you for and I am glad I couldn't convince you to chip off a piece for the=20
aesthetics of it. Did you ever get a nice loupe to begin your 10X studies o=
f it=20
like you hoped I wonder.

Last, but first on the personal notes, Bob C. Thanks 'mano. I couldn't hav=
e=20
attended without your help and the "hotel" was spectacular as Tucson itself,=
=20
as were the arrangements. Here's to looking forward to catching up with you=
=20
soon.

I snapped a few pictures, also, though it will take a bit of time to downloa=
d=20
them properly and put them on the Internet for all to see...but they are in=20
the works.

Saludos, Doug

--part1_f8.36b56ff2.2d637d54_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=
=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Dear List,<BR>
<BR>
As a new addition to this motley crew of meteorite aficionados, I have a few=
 comments in general and e-kudos (nice things to say) to pass out.<BR>
<BR>
It was really a surprise to meet so many space rock enthusiasts that are all=
 so down to earth and passionate about this subject, which occupies us.&nbsp=
; 49 out of 50 of you are great folks!&nbsp; It goes to show what misplaced=20=
impressions one can get from reading too much into email messages which in m=
any cases are just accidents or blowing off steam.<BR>
<BR>
The big La Fuente party was fun and a chance to see all the faces although t=
hat was best done sooner than later in some cases, - well planned and deserv=
es congratulations.&nbsp; I personally am mentally impaired to remember the=20=
names tied to the faces of people without repeating meeting 5 times, so it i=
s a bit embarrassing to selective mention a few people, and be totally ignor=
ant of the majority of the pairings which went right over my head.&nbsp; <BR=

<BR>
Whether your interest was scientific, social or niche, eccentric or well rou=
nded, or collect mania, the interaction made it an experience to remember.&n=
bsp; By plan or chance I ran into some people mentioned here,<BR>
<BR>
Of the dealers, all but one unmentionable were great - Al Lang in particular=
 really deserves thanks for all the effort and enthusiasm he put into his sh=
owing, as I understand he was still driving back cross country after bringin=
g the magnificent selection of two roomful and a patio of the good stuff.&nb=
sp; Of course Sergey and Eduardo don't live nearby to Tucson, either so ...=20=
all are held in awe.&nbsp; E.T. was a nice person to hang with (thanks for t=
he cap), and the spirits were also so fine at the Reeds' place, that it was=20=
the best etching on my memory of all the slices of the show.&nbsp; Anne and=20=
Louis C. add a dimension that is great and I am privileged to have met them=20=
in person.&nbsp; Bob Haag was kind enough to let me touch the otherwise unto=
uchable.&nbsp; Speaking of Tucson, Mike Farmer and Eric's room was very well=
 presented, and the unfinished business I had (besides splitting a meteorite=
 with Steve Arnold of Arkansas) was with Mike on that beautiful NWA1942 that=
 I wished and wished I would have done more about with its accommodating own=
er.&nbsp; Although the Hup=E9s didn't have a exhibition showing, both were r=
eally encouraging, patient with me and another nice and very curious photogr=
apher, and they are appreciated and I guess it was a room full of their stuf=
f that was sorely missed.<BR>
<BR>
As for the people, I'll have to save that for future emails, as it's already=
 time to leave this morning.&nbsp; But I must mention my thanks to a genuine=
ly smiling Richard Norton and his quiet but faithful partner in crime as he=20=
kindly took interest in my humble material and dedicated my two books they w=
rote, that I happened to have with me.&nbsp; For those who don't know Steve=20=
Arnold of Chicago, I can say an unplanned chain of events led to us meeting=20=
and rooming at the same place, and while Steve and I have become interested=20=
in meteorites by diametrically opposite reasons, I can't say that I am genui=
nely more interested in meteorites than he, and Steve, congratulations on th=
at beautiful collection of meteoritic material in that to die for slice of H=
owardite that I kept bugging you for and I am glad I couldn't convince you t=
o chip off a piece for the aesthetics of it.&nbsp; Did you ever get a nice l=
oupe to begin your 10X studies of it like you hoped I wonder.<BR>
<BR>
Last, but first on the personal notes, Bob C.&nbsp; Thanks 'mano.&nbsp; I co=
uldn't have attended without your help and the "hotel" was spectacular as Tu=
cson itself, as were the arrangements.&nbsp; Here's to looking forward to ca=
tching up with you soon.<BR>
<BR>
I snapped a few pictures, also, though it will take a bit of time to downloa=
d them properly and put them on the Internet for all to see...but they are i=
n the works.<BR>
<BR>
Saludos, Doug<BR>
</FONT></HTML>