[meteorite-list] Shatter Cones, photos + double shatter cone

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:24 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C3F722.A5C97D20

Hello List,
Shatter cones are one of my favorite types of meteorite impactite. Found =
around large impact craters, called astroblemes (from Greek astron, blema=
, meaning "star wound"). Shatter cones have a distinctively patterned str=
ucture that are formed in the rock by a large impacting object. Often con=
ically-shaped, these rocks have close-spaced "grooves" or "lines" that ra=
diate outward from the apex. The apex, or point, of the stone points towa=
rds the impact area. I've always thought of shatter cones as a sound foss=
il. An Earth rock that has recorded the sound wave of the a large object =
from outer space announcing its arrival to earth.
The following are photos showing most of the shatter cones in my personal=
 collection. A couple I wanted to show were cut and you could see a cross=
 of shatter cones in layers. Usually, you can break a shatter cone, and c=
reate two shatter cones. Some times something pretty, some times not. The=
 three bottom photos show a shatter cone many of you might find of intere=
st. This was found by Robert Szep, who told me he found it along the S.W.=
 portion of Wanapitei Lake, about 30 yards from the shoreline. This was s=
old to me as a "double shatter cone", something that I have seen reported=
 in several books. According to Szep both ends, or apex were pointed in t=
he correct fashion for it to be a double shatter cone (each towards one o=
f the craters). However, I understand that sometimes, the sound-shock wav=
e from the Sudbury impact, appeared to bounce in the target rock, leaving=
 a crinkle. The examples I have seen have been only in photos and are ver=
y large, not on a small scale such as this specimen. The shatter cone bre=
aks at almost a 90 degree angle. =20
Any impact cratering, physics or sound expert out there have any opinion =
on this rock? I have always felt sorry for the stone, hit by two meteorit=
es.

Beaverhead Shatter cone. (Not large for the local, but for most collectio=
ns it is). Almost perfect cone shape.
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/Beaverhead_Shattercone.jpg
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/Beaverhead_Shattercone_on_side.jpg

Kentland Shatter cone
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/Kentland_Shattercone.jpg

Rochochouart Shatter cone
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/Shattercone_Roch.jpg

Sheinheim Shatter Cone. The second one is "cute".
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/Steinheim_Shattercone.jpg
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/Steinheim_Shattercone_nice.jpg

Wells Creek Shatter Cones
First photo is positive side, second is negative side
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/Shattercone_Wellcreek_1.jpg
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/Shattercone_Wellcreek_b.jpg
Shattercone with nice "horsetailing", second photo is closeup
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/wells_Creek_Shattercone.jpg
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/Wells_Creek_Shattercone_foxtailing=
jpg

Serpent Mound Shatter Cones
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/Sijin_Shattercone.jpg

Siljan Shatter cone
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/Serphant_Monnd_Shattercone.jpg

Sudbury Shatter cones
3.5 kilogram Sudbury Shatter cone.
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/Sudbury_Shattercone_3.5kg_side.jpg
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/Sudbury_Shattercone_3.5kg.jpg

Large flat Sudbury Shatter cone.
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/Sudbury_flat_shattercone_side_1.jp=
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/Sudbury_flat_shattercone_side2.jpg

A Sudbury and Winnipeg double shatter cone. =20
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/Sudbury_Winnipeg_Shattercone.jpg
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/Sudbury_Winnipeg_Shattercone_Side_=
1.jpg
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/Sudbury_Winnipeg_Shattercone_Side_=
1.jpg

Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor=
 and meteorite articles.

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C3F722.A5C97D20

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><FONT size=3D1=
> <P><FONT size=3D2>Hello List,</FONT></P> <P><FONT size=3D2>Shatter cone=
s are one of my favorite types of meteorite impactite. Found around large=
 impact craters, called astroblemes (from Greek astron, blema, meaning "s=
tar wound"). Shatter cones have a distinctively patterned structure that =
are formed in the rock by a large impacting object. Often conically-shape=
d, these rocks have close-spaced "grooves" or "lines" that radiate outwar=
d from the apex. The apex, or point, of the stone points towards the impa=
ct area. I've always thought of shatter cones as a sound fossil. An Earth=
 rock that has recorded the sound wave of the a large object from outer s=
pace announcing its arrival to earth.</FONT></P> <P><FONT size=3D2>The fo=
[...]
 almost a 90 degree angle. </FONT></P> <P><FONT size=3D2>Any impact crate=
ring, physics&nbsp;or sound expert out there have any opinion on this roc=
k? I have always felt sorry for the stone, hit by two meteorites.</FONT><=
/P></FONT><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Beaverhead Sha=
tter cone. (Not large for the local, but for most collections it is). Alm=
ost perfect cone shape.</P> <P>http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/Bea=
verhead_Shattercone.jpg</P> <P>http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/Bea=
verhead_Shattercone_on_side.jpg</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Kentland Shatter con=
e</P> <P>http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/Kentland_Shattercone.jpg<=
/P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Rochochouart Shatter cone</P> <P>http://www.meteorit=
earticles.com/files/Shattercone_Roch.jpg</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Sheinheim S=
hatter Cone. The second one is "cute".</P></FONT><FONT face=3DArial></FON=
T><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"> <P>http://www.meteoritearticles.com/fil=
es/Steinheim_Shattercone.jpg</P> <P>http://www.meteoritearticles.com/file=
s/Steinheim_Shattercone_nice.jpg</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Wells Creek Shatter=
 Cones</P> <P>First photo is positive side, second is negative side</P> <=
P>http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/Shattercone_Wellcreek_1.jpg</P> =
<P>http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/Shattercone_Wellcreek_b.jpg</P>=
 <P>Shattercone with nice "horsetailing", second photo is closeup</P> <P>=
http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/wells_Creek_Shattercone.jpg</P> <P=
>http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/Wells_Creek_Shattercone_foxtailin=
g.jpg</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Serpent Mound Shatter Cones</P> <P>http://www.=
meteoritearticles.com/files/Sijin_Shattercone.jpg</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Si=
ljan Shatter cone</P> <P>http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/Serphant_=
Monnd_Shattercone.jpg</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Sudbury Shatter cones</P> <P>3=
5 kilogram Sudbury Shatter cone.</P> <P>http://www.meteoritearticles.com=
/files/Sudbury_Shattercone_3.5kg_side.jpg</P> <P>http://www.meteoritearti=
cles.com/files/Sudbury_Shattercone_3.5kg.jpg</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Large f=
lat Sudbury Shatter cone.</P> <P>http://www.meteoritearticles.com/files/S=
udbury_flat_shattercone_side_1.jpg</P> <P>http://www.meteoritearticles.co=
m/files/Sudbury_flat_shattercone_side2.jpg</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>A Sudbury=
 and Winnipeg double shatter cone. </P> <P>http://www.meteoritearticles.c=
om/files/Sudbury_Winnipeg_Shattercone.jpg</P> <P>http://www.meteoritearti=
cles.com/files/Sudbury_Winnipeg_Shattercone_Side_1.jpg</P> <P>http://www.=
meteoritearticles.com/files/Sudbury_Winnipeg_Shattercone_Side_1.jpg</P></=
FONT><FONT face=3DArial> <P>&nbsp;</P></FONT><BR><BR>Please visit, www.Me=
teoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor and meteorite artic=
les.</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C3F722.A5C97D20--