[meteorite-list] Sikhote fireballs

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:25 2004

------=_NextPart_001_001B_01C3F91C.7987A880

Hello Stephen,

While I am sure there are a several more experts on the speed and physics=
 of a meteorite fall and the Sikhote fall in general, I will try to answe=
r your question.

Steve wrote: "Does anyone know whether these fastest pieces were moving r=
apidly enough to remain luminous all the way to the ground? Also, were t=
he impacts themselves intense enough to produce fireballs?"

It is my understanding that a soon to be meteorite loses its cosmic speed=
 during decent. Gravity...rather then previous momentum being the greate=
st force upon the rock.

In the case of the Sikhote fall in we have many eye witnesses that heard =
reports during the fall. These reports was the meteorite exploding and i=
t is not hard to find Sikhotes that show they are half "shrapnel" and yet=
, oriented, or the Sikhotes with the little craters in them. These explo=
sions I imagine would expend a lot of energy and slow the incoming object=
 down even more. =20

I would also suggest you read "Giant Meteorites", which gives the best ac=
count and the most information on the Sikhote fall. Most of the meteorit=
e craters formed were excavation craters, rather then explosion craters, =
such as Meteor Crater. The meteorites dug into the ground. =20

So, back to you question. I do not think the final decent or the impact =
with the ground on the Sikhote meteorite was luminous. Perhaps others w=
ould like to add further thought.

Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com

------=_NextPart_001_001B_01C3F91C.7987A880

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <=
DIV> <DIV>Hello Stephen,</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>While I am sure the=
re are a several more experts on the speed and physics of a meteorite fal=
l and the Sikhote fall in general, I will try to answer your question.</D=
IV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Steve wrote: "Does anyone know whether these f=
astest pieces were moving rapidly enough to remain luminous all the way t=
o the ground?&nbsp; Also, were the impacts themselves intense enough to p=
roduce fireballs?"</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>It is my understanding th=
at a soon to be meteorite loses its cosmic speed during decent.&nbsp; Gra=
vity...rather then previous momentum being the greatest force&nbsp;upon t=
he rock.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>In the case of the Sikhote fall in =
we have many eye witnesses that heard reports during the fall.&nbsp; Thes=
e reports was the meteorite exploding and it is not hard to find Sikhotes=
 that show they are half "shrapnel" and yet, oriented, or the Sikhotes wi=
th the little craters in them.&nbsp; These explosions I imagine would exp=
end a lot of energy and slow the incoming object down even more.&nbsp; </=
DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I would also suggest you read "Giant Meteorit=
es", which gives the best account and the most information on the Sikhote=
 fall.&nbsp; Most of the meteorite craters formed were excavation craters=
, rather then explosion craters, such as Meteor Crater.&nbsp; The meteori=
tes dug into the ground.&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>So, back to =
you question.&nbsp; I do not think the final decent or the impact with th=
e ground on the Sikhote meteorite was luminous.&nbsp;&nbsp; Perhaps other=
s would like to add further thought.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;<=
/DIV> <DIV>Mark Bostick</DIV> <DIV><A href=3D"http://www.meteoritearticle=
s.com">www.meteoritearticles.com</A></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_001B_01C3F91C.7987A880--