[meteorite-list] RE: Survival after a large impact event (Delete if you d...

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:28 2004

--part1_3f.28601df3.2d6faf15_boundary

Good points ... Did you ever see the movie Soylent Green ? If not the story
of Donner Pass California ?

For the greenhouse construction ... don't underestimate the value of all
those glass tektites strewn around:) I meant to ask: Would a spurious rocky
remanent of an asteroid be an astite (OK, maybe not), asterite or asteroidite?

But to keep things positive, a little thinking out of the box never hurts. I
have no doubt that the construction would happen as this isn't a Hollywood
terror flick, it is a "real" situation. There is certainly several months of
food supply probably at least two years out there. Everything doesn't come out
of a can, the fields wouldn't be totally destroyed worldwide. Marshall law in
plently of places would be fine, it is not too unlike many countries today,
and a spirit of cooperation under these circumstances wiould certainly win out
in my vision, since going against it would be bad for your health ... there
would be a new class of very mad peasants...I don't think that would happen in
the "developed" nations.

Oh for the thinking out of the box ... if you don't think enough food
production facilities could be set up in a few months time, I disagree there. And
nuclear plants fueled by all the stockpile of arms of mass destuction sitting
around. But if I am wrong there, and all this really doesn't work as it would
have to, heating massive plankton and diatom water tanks could be built
virtually overnight and heated. Presto: instant flavored whale food for
distribution. Tastes better than dog food for sure. No doubt withing a week it could be
turned into a product that farm animals like to. Maybe not cows, so get used
to rabbits and chickens. Rabbits reproduce quickly, we are told...
Probably the flavored diatom-plankton wouldn't taste any different from tofu and they
reproduce fast in warm water with a light source. Capitalistic companis
certainly would recognize the value of maintaining the customer base and not
hoarding causing death and lower profits. And everyone who could do anything to
cooperate would be well compensated - and this would be the focus for everyone,
so still best to be in a place like a "developed" country with material
resources.

The only place this whole thing gets scary is what happens if the oceans
began to freeze over. That sounds like it would require a major impactor though.
Also, a lot of water below the frozen ocean then would make for a nice
thermos. No doubt the polar caps would get a lot bigger (and everyone everywhere
would be finding more new meteorites). But the heat capacity and greenhouse
temporarily produced hopefully would give time to build massive atmospheric
scrubbers. I suspect winds would mostly die down below the obscurity so initially,
bulk atmospheric scrubbing would be easier, "at any rate".

Then in the sequel to this, geothermal experts could tap into the Earth's
molten magma as an additional heat source. That would make a nice Hollywood
thriller, though I feel society would adapt nicely to its new circumstances.
Might even be a good thing, there is too much nonesense going on between
senslessly waring factions now. Nothing like a common goal to unite people and bring
out their best. Whether astronauts or naughty asts.

Saludos
Doug Dawn
Mexico

En un mensaje con fecha 02/26/2004 12:33:07 PM Mexico Standard Time,
laser_maniac_at_hotmail.com escribe:

> Asunto: RE: [meteorite-list] RE: Survival after a large impact event
> (Delete if you don`t wish to know)
> Fecha: 02/26/2004 12:33:07 PM Mexico Standard Time
> De: laser_maniac_at_hotmail.com
> Para: meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com
> Enviado por Internet
>

> I'd have to disagree from 2 standpoints:
>
> >It's hard to imagine even the third world countries surviving and growing
> >food when it's -30 degrees C, even if their survival skills where better on
>
> >average than those in developed countries.
>
> eskimos, north canadians, and people in siberia, (as well as many other
> places) have been doing this for ages. surely SOME people will survice such
> an impact event
>
> >Basically any society that can generate electricity can grow grops make
> >heat for plants and people and provide protection, that's if civil war
> >didn't break out before then!
>
> how much food generation capacity do we have in place that can be heated by
> artifical means almost immediatly (say by the next growing cycle)? if such
> an impact event were to happen tomorrow, we wouldnt have time to build 100
> million acres of electrically heated greenhouses. sure technology would
> allow us to produce SOME food in just about any climate, but it certainly
> wouldnt be enough to support a large population. I'd venture to guess that
> it wouldnt even be enough to feed the farmers, electric grid workers, power
> plant engineers, fuel delivery service people, coal mine workers, and on
> down the line. I just dont think artificial environments would work in the
> macro sense. by the time we could ramp up production in such an environment
> large portions of the population would have died from starvation. now IF you
>
> happen to live in a community where there is a large farm, and there happens
>
> to be some natural gas wells, and conviniently there are local power
> generation capibilities, THEN maybe the citizens could work together to make
>
> such a possibility feasible, but it would be the exception, as opposed to
> the norm I'd think...
>
> >It would be the quickest ones to adapt to a new climate that would survive,
>
> >that is where technology comes into it's own!
>
> that I agree with 100% but I feal you are overestimating technologies
> ability to keep us alive... I'm sure it would allow a small number of people
>
> to survive such an event, but certainly not alot of the population..

--part1_3f.28601df3.2d6faf15_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=
=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Good points ... Did you ever see th=
e movie Soylent Green ?&nbsp; If not the story of Donner Pass California ?<B=

<BR>
For the greenhouse construction ... don't underestimate the value of all tho=
se glass tektites strewn around:)&nbsp; I meant to ask: Would a spurious roc=
ky remanent of an asteroid be an astite (OK, maybe not), asterite or asteroi=
dite?<BR>
<BR>
But to keep things positive, a little thinking out of the box never hurts.&n=
bsp; I have no doubt that the construction would happen as this isn't a Holl=
ywood terror flick, it is a "real" situation.&nbsp; There is certainly sever=
al months of food supply probably at least two years out there.&nbsp; Everyt=
hing doesn't come out of a can, the fields wouldn't be totally destroyed wor=
ldwide.&nbsp; Marshall law in plently of places would be fine, it is not too=
 unlike many countries today, and a spirit of cooperation under these circum=
stances wiould certainly win out in my vision, since going against it would=20=
be bad for your health ... there would be a new class of very mad peasants..=
.I don't think that would happen in the "developed" nations.<BR>
<BR>
Oh for the thinking out of the box ... if you don't think enough food produc=
tion facilities could be set up in a few months time, I disagree there.&nbsp=
; And nuclear plants fueled by all the stockpile of arms of mass destuction=20=
sitting around.&nbsp; But if I am wrong there, and all this really doesn't w=
ork as it would have to, heating massive plankton and diatom water tanks cou=
ld be built virtually overnight and heated.&nbsp; Presto: instant flavored w=
hale food for distribution.&nbsp; Tastes better than dog food for sure.&nbsp=
; No doubt withing a week it could be turned into a product that farm animal=
s like to.&nbsp; Maybe not cows, so get used to rabbits and chickens.&nbsp;=20=
Rabbits reproduce quickly, we are told...&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Probably the fla=
vored diatom-plankton wouldn't taste any different from tofu and they reprod=
uce fast in warm water with a light source.&nbsp; Capitalistic companis cert=
ainly would recognize the value of maintaining the customer base and not hoa=
rding causing death and lower profits.&nbsp; And everyone who could do anyth=
ing to cooperate would be well compensated - and this would be the focus for=
 everyone, so still best to be in a place like a "developed" country with ma=
terial resources.<BR>
<BR>
The only place this whole thing gets scary is what happens if the oceans beg=
an to freeze over.&nbsp; That sounds like it would require a major impactor=20=
though.&nbsp; Also, a lot of water below the frozen ocean then would make fo=
r a nice thermos.&nbsp; No doubt the polar caps would get a lot bigger (and=20=
everyone everywhere would be finding more new meteorites).&nbsp; But the hea=
t capacity and greenhouse temporarily produced hopefully would give time to=20=
build massive atmospheric scrubbers.&nbsp; I suspect winds would mostly die=20=
down below the obscurity so initially, bulk atmospheric scrubbing would be e=
asier, "at any rate".<BR>
<BR>
Then in the sequel to this, geothermal experts could tap into the Earth's mo=
lten magma as an additional heat source.&nbsp; That would make a nice Hollyw=
ood thriller, though I feel society would adapt nicely to its new circumstan=
ces.&nbsp; Might even be a good thing, there is too much nonesense going on=20=
between senslessly waring factions now.&nbsp; Nothing like a common goal to=20=
unite people and bring out their best.&nbsp; Whether astronauts or naughty a=
sts.<BR>
<BR>
Saludos<BR>
Doug Dawn<BR>
Mexico<BR>
<BR>
En un mensaje con fecha 02/26/2004 12:33:07 PM Mexico Standard Time, laser_m=
aniac_at_hotmail.com escribe:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Asunto: <B>RE: [meteorite-list]=
 RE: Survival after a large impact event (Delete if you don`t wish to know)=20=
</B><BR>