[meteorite-list] RE: Survival after a large impact event (Delete if you d...

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:28 2004

--part1_21.3b057676.2d6fe431_boundary

En un mensaje con fecha 02/26/2004 4:45:49 PM Mexico Standard Time,=20
laser_maniac_at_hotmail.com escribe:

> This brings us right back to square one. why feed a cow for a year, the=20
> amount of plankton required to keep 10 people alive, just so you can get 1=
=20
> man-year worth of t bones? such a long term survivial of the species effor=
t=20
> would have to be concerned with the overall energy efficency of the food=20
> source.. at least initially till more energy sources could be brought=20
> online.

OK, in this post asteroid impact world, at least I got you to agree that a=20
little thinking out of the box has a decent shot at this.=A0 Right now I'd l=
ike to=20
see how feasible the plankton model I like for survival is, but I still have=
=20
half a day of work ahead ... so I will, but later.=A0=20

I have no reason to doubt your estimates of the energy requirements for a=20
reasonable sized population, and we certainly wouldn't have rice production=20=
up=20
over night, if rice were the post impact food of choice so I'll happily agre=
e=20
you've made a stong case there.

It comes down to the fact that there is vast storages of plants, animals,=20
sugars, fertilizers and other organic material and nutrients in the world.=
=A0 That=20
doesn't include all the trees and creatures, and fungi that grow in the dark=
=20
on detritus (including human poop).=A0 So we'd all get a drastic change in=20
lifestyle.=A0 Everyone would have their brewer's yeast barrel and filter in=20=
the house,=20
as well as blue green algae, and light bulbs.

Energy source is no problem at all for focused food production ... it is the=
=20
distribution that would need to be immediately guaranteed.=A0 Some further=20
ideas, just a sampling of the thousands that would come out of a creative wo=
rld=20
trying to survive:

Fungi
Brewer's Yeast
Photosynthetic algae including diatoms in another home garbage can brewsky.
Genetically engineered diatom algae not requiring light currently off the=20
shelf available.
Capture of the vast cellulose from trees before decomposition and treatment=20
to produce carbohydrates and sugars digestible - not to hard to do, even if=20=
by=20
simply using as food for yeast or bacteria that are edible and eat the wood.
canabilism on deaths by natural causes - hmmm if half of the world dies the=20
bodies could be collected and processed.=A0 And what of all the wildlife.=
=A0 Not a=20
pretty picture at all, but perfectly logical like the Donners found out.
Synthetic foods with high energy cost

Those who didn't adapt would probably not make it.=A0 So if worms are the di=
et=20
of the day, you like worms:)

Do I think the nuclear capabilities of the US (for example) alone could fuel=
=20
this for half of the world that makes it - yes.=A0 Would people's instinct f=
or=20
survival break down the civilized world?=A0 Hardly with nuclear and electric=
=20
being controlled by the government and a death penalty for offenders and a w=
orld=20
united to pull through.=A0 too optimistic? ... not really, I don't think, it=
's=20
not the script of an action packed movie to sell tickets .... so we don't ne=
ed=20
to force a Mad Max out on it (great movie with Mel), just "Little House on t=
he=20
Prarie"- it worked for them.

Saludos.
Doug

--part1_21.3b057676.2d6fe431_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=
=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">En un mensaje con fecha 02/26/2004=20=
4:45:49 PM Mexico Standard Time, laser_maniac_at_hotmail.com escribe:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">This brings us right back to sq=
uare one. why feed a cow for a year, the <BR>
amount of plankton required to keep 10 people alive, just so you can get 1 <=

man-year worth of t bones? such a long term survivial of the species effort=20=
<BR>
would have to be concerned with the overall energy efficency of the food <BR=

source.. at least initially till more energy sources could be brought <BR>
online.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
OK, in this post asteroid impact world, at least I got you to agree that a l=
ittle thinking out of the box has a decent shot at this.=A0 Right now I'd li=
ke to see how feasible the plankton model I like for survival is, but I stil=
l have half a day of work ahead ... so I will, but later.=A0 <BR>
<BR>
I have no reason to doubt your estimates of the energy requirements for a re=
asonable sized population, and we certainly wouldn't have rice production up=
 over night, if rice were the post impact food of choice so I'll happily agr=
ee you've made a stong case there.<BR>
<BR>
It comes down to the fact that there is vast storages of plants, animals, su=
gars, fertilizers and other organic material and nutrients in the world.=A0=20=
That doesn't include all the trees and creatures, and fungi that grow in the=
 dark on detritus (including human poop).=A0 So we'd all get a drastic chang=
e in lifestyle.=A0 Everyone would have their brewer's yeast barrel and filte=
r in the house, as well as blue green algae, and light bulbs.<BR>
<BR>
Energy source is no problem at all for focused food production ... it is the=
 distribution that would need to be immediately guaranteed.=A0 Some further=20=
ideas, just a sampling of the thousands that would come out of a creative wo=
rld trying to survive:<BR>
<BR>
Fungi<BR>
Brewer's Yeast<BR>
Photosynthetic algae including diatoms in another home garbage can brewsky.<=

Genetically engineered diatom algae not requiring light currently off the sh=
elf available.<BR>
Capture of the vast cellulose from trees before decomposition and treatment=20=
to produce carbohydrates and sugars digestible - not to hard to do, even if=20=
by simply using as food for yeast or bacteria that are edible and eat the wo=
od.<BR>
canabilism on deaths by natural causes - hmmm if half of the world dies the=20=
bodies could be collected and processed.=A0 And what of all the wildlife.=
=A0 Not a pretty picture at all, but perfectly logical like the Donners foun=
d out.<BR>
Synthetic&nbsp; foods with high energy cost<BR>
<BR>
Those who didn't adapt would probably not make it.=A0 So if worms are the di=
et of the day, you like worms:)<BR>
<BR>
Do I think the nuclear capabilities of the US (for example) alone could fuel=
 this for half of the world that makes it - yes.=A0 Would people's instinct=20=
for survival break down the civilized world?=A0 Hardly with nuclear and elec=
tric being controlled by the government and a death penalty for offenders an=
d a world united to pull through.=A0 too optimistic? ... not really, I don't=
 think, it's not the script of an action packed movie to sell tickets .... s=
o we don't need to force a Mad Max out on it (great movie with Mel), just "L=
ittle House on the Prarie"- it worked for them.<BR>
<BR>
Saludos.<BR>
Doug<BR>
<BR>