[meteorite-list] New Fall called Amgala from Western Sahara

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:26 2004

Dear List Members,

It looks like the cat is out of the bag. We have been working on this new
fall for several months now and have accumulated several kilograms (largest
inventory of Amgala in the World) which we plan to release later this week
at excellent prices. We acquired many times more material than anybody else
so we can offer the best specimens at the best prices. We will be posting
several images with dozens of examples each to pick from. We normally do
not release material until it is completely classified but will make an
exception in this case since we should have the classification data within
two weeks. We have very nice looking Amgala (Proprietary Provisional Name)
inventory with completely crusted and oriented specimens so you may want to
consider these before making any purchasing decisions. Here is a link to
some images of a test samples:

http://www.lunarrock.com/amgala/amgalagroup.jpg

Here is the provisional data and coordinates:

Amgala Meteorite Fall - October 16, 2003

Location: Amgala to Oum Dreyga, Western Sahara, Morocco
Date: October 16, 2003
Time: 2:00 AM GMT
Direction of fall: Southwesterly
Coordinates of known strewn field to date:
Amgala
Latitude: 26 degrees 15' North
Longitude: 11 degrees 12' West
Oum Dreyga
Latitude: 24 degrees 12' North
Longitude: 13 degrees 20' West
Amount recovered: Approximately 15 kilos
Classification: Chondrite (pending)

Witness statements from 3 soldiers in Tiyert (sp) collected by Team
LunarRock
1) Youssef Oukhaye - Saw the red high and smoker and heard the sound of two
bangs. 2) Hamidi Hdou - Supposed that a plane was falling.
3) Yassine M'hamed - Heard a strange sound breaking the land.

Here is a link to a map of the region:

http://www.un.org/Depts/Cartographic/map/profile/wsahara.pdf

New falls are always exciting and we want to apologize for keeping this
secret for so long. We just did not want a repeat of Bensour or Thuathe on
our hands.

All the best,

Adam and Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection