[meteorite-list] Lowell Seeking New Telescope

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:56 2004

http://www.azcentral.com/abgnews/articles/0101LOWELL01a.html

Lowell seeking new telescope

Observatory, Discovery Communications team on $38 mil project

Mike Fimea
Arizona Business Gazette
January 1, 2004

FLAGSTAFF - A $38 million telescope, being built by Lowell Observatory and
Discovery Communications Inc., will bring more significant astronomy research to
northern Arizona.

If potential obstacles are cleared, the telescope will be built on an old cinder
quarry near Happy Jack, about 40 miles southeast of Flagstaff.

Construction is scheduled to begin next summer, with the telescope ready for
operation by 2008.

"A number of large telescopes have been built over the last 15 years using
technology that didn't exist before. We need a more capable telescope," said Bob
Millis, the observatory's director since 1990.

Astronomy has become competitive, he said.

The telescope "will give a leg up to all our researchers and give us a better
competitive advantage."

It is expected to enhance research into the Kuiper Belt and near-Earth asteroids.
The Kuiper Belt, discovered in 1992, includes a swarm of icy objects extending
from Neptune to unknown distances. More than 2,300 near-Earth asteroids have
also been identified in the past decade, with the closest objects detected about
50,000 miles away.

"We want to be on the leading edge of technical ability and image quality," project
director Tom Sebring said. "Our challenge is to get the sharpest focus and the
best resolution possible."

The partnership also benefits Discovery Communications, a media company
whose holdings include the Discovery Channel, TLC and Animal Planet. The
company has pledged $10 million to the project, and the observatory has either
raised or has commitments for another $10 million.

John Hendricks, founder and chairman of Discovery Communications, is also a
member of the Lowell advisory board. Hendricks is personally contributing $1
million to the telescope project.

"John came to believe a new telescope would be good for his company and the
observatory," Millis said. "The research would be an ongoing source of
programming for the Discovery networks."

The telescope will be one of the world's most sophisticated ground-based
instruments. Millis said its wide field of vision can capture four full moons in a
single exposure, allowing astronomers to spot the faintest astral objects.

"We can put more emphasis on our study of the solar system, and our affiliation
with the Discovery Channel should make us more competitive when applying for
federal (research) grants," he said.

Several potential obstacles must be cleared before the telescope can be built. The
site near Happy Jack was selected because the night sky is free of light pollution
that inhibits astronomers.

However, the cinder quarry lacks the solid-rock foundation considered optimal for
a telescope foundation. The site is also prone to high winds; tests conducted
between last January and July recorded winds of up to 45 mph.

"We need a unique design because of the soil conditions and the sensitivity of the
telescope," said Jose Teran, senior architect at Tucson-based M3 Engineering
and Technology, which will design the facility. "There can be no vibration
transfers from the building to the pier (mount) of the telescope."

Lowell must also obtain a special-use permit from the U.S. Forest Service.
Happy Jack is in the Coconino National Forest. Sebring said he is "guardedly
optimistic" that the permit will be approved. If not, the observatory will consider
other sites in Arizona and in Chile.

Project costs are increasing as well. In an October news release, Lowell and
Discovery Communications said the telescope would cost $30 million. Sebring
says the final tab will approach $38 million, meaning the observatory needs to
find other financial backers.

"Lowell could build a $30 million telescope without an additional contributor, but
it would be painful," Sebring said. "We're currently in discussions with three
potential partners and hope to sign two of them."

Federal agencies will also be approached for financial support. Millis said the
observatory has an annual budget of close to $5 million. Federal grants and
contracts - mostly from NASA and the National Science Foundation - account
for about 40 percent of the budget.

"It's a bit of a reach for an institution of our size," Millis said of the Discovery
project. "But it's a step we believe is really essential to securing our future.
Lowell was founded in 1894, and we want to be here in 2094."