[meteorite-list] update on dos cabezes

From: goldmaster <goldmaster_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:56 2004

Hi Steve , Captain Dave (my bunney turd nibblin partner) and list

In 1998 I was taking the claims director to a gold nugget patch with the
hopes of the local Desert Gold Diggers bieng able to claim the area for the
club members . I found the first piece on the hike to the patch . It was 477
grams mostly crusted with several broken ends . The next day I droped it of
at the U of A with Dr Kring . I then organized a hunt for that weekend .
George V (the claims director) Jim K , Twink, Bob B., Ron M. and myself gave
it a good hunt . Jim found 3 more pieces , Bob found one and I found 2 . We
tried to fit those pieces together but all that would fit were the 2 largest
pieces . All the pieces found were in one small area about 100 foot circle .
I believe Twink ended up finding a small piece later on . Jim and I recently
found a few more pieces thanks to our drought . I think there is less than
900 grams total known weight. If the gold nuggets weren't so thick and
plentiful in the area there probably would be more found :o). The location
is on a small claimed parcel surrounded on 3 sides by private land . The
surounding land owner will not tolerate tresspassers and will not give
permmision or access to hunt for more pieces !! The claiment has given a few
of us permission to hunt his claim .
>From the first piece (the main mass) a healthy thick slice was given to the
U of A at the time of classification . A 40 gram slice was delivered to
Carleton Moore at ASU by my other bunny turd nibblin partner (Johnny
Quesiddilla Gwilliam) and I . Roughly 1/3 of that piece is on display at the
Flandrau Planetarium mineral museum on campus at the U of A . Just what else
would you like to know Steve ?? Pictures of my original pieces can be seen
on my web page at www.gci-net.com/~goldmaster
I think the 77 gram piece Twink thought was a piece turned out to be a
leaverite . But she did get a smaller piece !!
Happy Huntin
John Blennert