[meteorite-list] Mad Cow and Vaca Muerta

From: John Gwilliam <jkg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:57 2004

--=====================_8844073==_.ALT

Still working on that $10.00 gallon of tequila from New Years, huh?

John

At 08:33 PM 1/3/04 +0000, Howard Wu wrote:
>Prions are supposedly heat resistant and carry no genetic material. Then
>there is the question of how a prion would get into a cows brain. Only
>possible way I can think of is a direct impact to the skull by a micro
>fragment. Vaca Muerta comes to mind though any fall out in the range only
>witnessed by cows could be the culprit. And maybe the tale of the cow
>jumping over the moon is a oral record of space cows observed by
>aboriginals. Perhaps why cows are sacred in India is they were once
>visited by cows from space millenia ago
>
>Taurus the Bull..(i.e.Too ashame to sign my name to this one.)
>

>Francis Graham <francisgraham_at_rocketmail.com> wrote:
>>"We still had hamburgers for dinner that night,"
>>he said. "The odds of
>>being hit by a meteorite are much greater than
>>anyone in America dying
>>of mad cow disease."
>>
>>Interestingly, there is some science behind the
>>speculation that something like a prion protovirus may
>>have been carried to the early Earth by a meteorite,
>>since life on Earth seems to have developed within 400
>>Mya after cooling. But no one can be sure yet, since
>>there are also models for a rapid RNA world that might
>>work.
>>Certainly the prion that causes mad cow was not
>>brought by a meteorite though, since it is too
>>host-specific. Unless there are cows in space. Now
>>that would make interesting meteorites. :)
>>
>>Francis Graham

>><http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/mail/tagline_messenger/*http://uk.messenger.yahoo.
>>com>Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today!
>><http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/mail/tagline_messenger/*http://uk.messenger.yahoo.
>>com/download/index.html>Download Messenger Now

--=====================_8844073==_.ALT

Still working on that $10.00 gallon of tequila from New Years, huh?<br>
John<br>
At 08:33 PM 1/3/04 +0000, Howard Wu wrote:<br>
no genetic material. Then there is the question of how a prion would get
into a cows brain. Only possible way I can think of is a direct impact to
the skull by a micro fragment. Vaca Muerta comes to mind though any fall
out in the range only witnessed by cows could be the culprit. And maybe
the tale of the cow jumping over the moon is a oral record of space cows
observed by aboriginals. Perhaps why cows are sacred in India is they
were once visited by cows from space millenia ago<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Taurus the Bull..(i.e.Too ashame to sign my name to this one.)<br>
&nbsp;<br>
wrote:<blockquote>
<dl>
<dd>&quot;We still had hamburgers for dinner that night,&quot;
<dd>he said. &quot;The odds of
<dd>being hit by a meteorite are much greater than
<dd>anyone in America dying
<dd>of mad cow disease.&quot;<br>

<dd>Interestingly, there is some science behind the
<dd>speculation that something like a prion protovirus may
<dd>have been carried to the early Earth by a meteorite,
<dd>since life on Earth seems to have developed within 400
<dd>Mya after cooling. But no one can be sure yet, since
<dd>there are also models for a rapid RNA world that might
<dd>work.
<dd>Certainly the prion that causes mad cow was not
<dd>brought by a meteorite though, since it is too
<dd>host-specific. Unless there are cows in space. Now
<dd>that would make interesting meteorites. :)<br>

<dd>Francis Graham<br>

<dd>Do you Yahoo!?
<dd>Find out what made the Top Yahoo! Searches of 2003

<dd>Meteorite-list mailing list
<dd>Meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com
<dd><a href="http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list" eudora="autourl">http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list</a><br>

</dl><br>