[meteorite-list] meteorite slices

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:57 2004

Dear List Members,

I agree, there are a lot of meteorites with saw marks ruining an otherwise
good looking appearance offered by dealers. I see no reason a dealer should
not invest in a diamond lap and use it other than trying to save money and
time to increase profits. Yes, it cost money and the material losses add up
but it is important for the following reasons:

If a new collector purchases a poorly prepared specimen he may not
appreciate the true beauty of meteorites and be turned off to collecting any
more.

Viewing of characteristics on a polished surface is far better than one with
unsightly saw marks.

If a dealer does not polish he or she probably does not take the time to dry
out specimens cut in water. On the same note, they probably do not dissolve
the oil left behind by the saw with ethyl alcohol ether.

A slice with saw marks can not be wiped off properly after handling. The
chemicals (sweat) left behind from touching a specimen will be trapped in
the saw grooves causing metal to corrode and the matrix to become stained.

Some dealers say only one side of a slice is viewed so only one side needs
to be polished. I disagree, the customer is paying for a prepared slice and
this means both sides should be polished for the same reasons listed above.

I enjoy preparing specimens because it is part of my avocation. Polishing
meteorite slices I find to be relaxing. There is nothing like seeing a
properly prepared slice under magnification for the first time or the
10,000th time. Each surface is different and deserves decent preparation.
We have never sold a cut specimen that was not polished on both sides except
on a very rare occasion like a Nahklite which would turn to mud if such an
attempt were made. The only excuse I see is if something is extraordinarily
rare and a scientist advised against polishing it as has been the case on a
few planetary meteorites we have worked on. Other specimens can be
stabilized so there is no excuse for not polished cut examples.

Sorry so long winded about this. Poor workmanship has always bothered me.

All the best,

Adam Hupe
The Hupe Collection
IMCA 2185