[meteorite-list] meteorite slices

From: meteoriteshow <meteoriteshow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:58 2004

> All,

> Happy new year everyone ang GO Spirit!!!

> Good points raised here by Guy. While we must recognize that some
> specimens cannot be polished due to their frangible nature others probably
> are not done because of the time and expense it takes.

> For those of us who have saw marks on some specimens, how can we go about
> polishing them out?

> All the best,

> Greg Redfern
> JPL NASA Solar System Ambassador
> http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/ambassador/index.html
> International Meteorite Collectors Association #5781
> http://www.meteoritecollectors.org/
> Member Meteoritical Society
> http://www.meteoriticalsociety.org/

Sorry I forgot something important!
As polishing should be done under running water to get the best results, it
is a good idea to dry your slices after. Letting them dry by themselves is a
solution, but as it is a slow process (depending on the size of the slice
and quantity of water trapped inside) and then metal flakes can start
corroding on the surface (chondrites for instance). My advice is then to put
them in the oven for about 20 to 40 minutes, at about 50°C, turning the
slices up side down in the middle of the drying process. This is faster, and
corrosion will not have time to develop.
Bye now.

Fred B - Lyon (France)