[meteorite-list] cleaning chondrites

From: Stephen McMann <stephen_mcmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:58 2004

<P>Dear List,</P>
<P>What is currently the best method for removing fingerprints (with their&nbsp;acids and chloride ions) from chondrites, using readily available material?&nbsp; While I don't usually handle my chondrites with bare fingers, they have all passed through long chains of custody before I bought them, and it would be sad to watch oxide stains spreading through the matrix and black fusion crusts turning brown.</P>
<P>Also, does anyone ever use VCI paper with their chondrites?&nbsp;Am I currect in assuming that it may retard oxidation of metal that is exposed to the air?</P>
<P>Sincerely,</P>
<P>Stephen McMann</P></DIV>