[meteorite-list] Re: Toxic Minerals

From: John Gwilliam <jkg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:59 2004

Fred, Dave and List,
Many people think that if they are wet polishing rocks, minerals and
meteorites, they are not susceptible to the dangerous chemicals that may be
found in specimen material.

Not so.

A water cooled lapidary unit for sanding and polishing puts a tremendous
amount of the material you are working on into the air in your working
environment. The finely atomized water carries the residual dust into the
air and can disperse it farther that dry dust can travel. I know several
people who cut and polish rocks and gemstones professionally and they all
use high grade respirators when processing material. As mentioned
previously, chemical can be readily absorbed through the skin with
disastrous results. This includes ethanol, the alcohol used by many
meteorite cutters to remove water from specimens. Use GOOD disposable
gloves plus adequate eye and respiratory protection when you work. By the
time you find out you have a problem, the damage is already done.

Best,

John Gwilliam