[meteorite-list] re: Spanish fireball also seen from north of Portugal

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:59 2004

>From the Portuguese newspaper Jose forwarded:

> A comet's trail: Scientifically, this Sunday's phenomena is predictable,
> since every year, at the beginning of January, the terrestrial orbit
crosses
> through a
> zone of cosmic particles which give origin to a meteorite shower.

This erroneously assumes that this fireball belonged to the Quadrantid
meteor stream, which peaks January 4th annually. That is impossible however,
given the direction of travel of the fireball in the Leon video. We now have
an item on it (with the video - and in English) on our DMS website
(http://www.dmsweb.org) pointing out why it cannot be a Quadrantid (and why
the NW-SE trajectory mentioned in the press must be incorrect).

- Marco

------
Marco Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society