[meteorite-list] Mars Clock

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:59 2004

> Hi,
>
> For those of us following the adventures of the MER-A,
> otherwise known as the Mars Rover Spirit, and having trouble
> with figuring out when its day begins and ends, or having
> trouble keeping the time on Mars straight... I mean, it's bad
> enough trying to figure what time it is in Europe or Iraq or
> Afghanistan or Tokyo, but Mars?
> Well, here is the answer to our problem! Yes, a MARS CLOCK
> java applet which shows a projection of the entire surface of
> Mars with the daylit area bright and the night area dim, as
> well the clock time for Mars. It's unbelievably neat and can
> be downloaded from the following website:
> <http://www.giss.nasa.gov/tools/mars24/>

This is a cool tool - I highly recommend it.

On a related note, A local jeweler has created special Mars watches
for the MER team, watches that run at 24 hours, 39 minutes every day.
This helps the team keep in sync with the Mars day. I picked
up my Mars watch this week. As I'm posting this
email, the local time at the Spirit landing site is
11:55 PM on Sol 4.

Ron Baalke