[meteorite-list] NPA 08-1901 Find of Ancient Meteor(wrong), NY Meteorites

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:01 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0002_01C3DA36.FADB21A0

Paper: The Daily Chronicle
City: Elyria, Ohio
Date: Wednesday, August 07, 1901
Page: 2 (?)
FIND OF ANCIENT METEOR
Laborers at Williamsburg, N.Y., Unearth What Appears To Be Old Heavenly V=
isitor
What seems to be fragments of a magnetic iron meteor, which may have desc=
ended to the earth centuries ago, was discovered the other day by some la=
borers who are excavating a cellar on Knickerbocker avenue, at Cornelia s=
treet, Williamsburg, N.Y. The discovery was made at a depth of 19 feet. I=
t being necessary to remove a hill 30 feet high before the sidewalk level=
 was reached.
Upon reaching a ten-foot depth in the cellar excavation the men came upon=
 the hard substance, and at first believed it nothing but solid rock. Its=
 extraordinary weight, however, made them examine it more closely, and wh=
en they cut into a large piece of the matter they found the interior was =
a solid mess of iron ore beneath a surface several inches deep of harden =
yellow clay.
The search was extended further, and the men came upon a perfectly formed=
 ape's head and also a ram's head. All the matter was turned over to Fran=
k S. Schell, the contractor, who will transfer the relics to some museum.
"It appears to me," said Mr. Schell, "that when this meteor fell, perhaps=
 centuries ago, it struck the earth like a shower of hailstone would. Tha=
t the pieces are all ancient is evident from the hard yellow clay which s=
urrounds each piece.
(Mark note: Once again using the must have reference guide, Meteorites A =
to Z, I could not find any meteorite having been found in New York during=
 this time. Meteorites A to Z, also pointed out to me, how few New York m=
eteorites there are. New York being one of the first and one of the most =
populated states in America I find their 11 find/falls to their name, and=
 most of these being rather small.)

Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor=
 and meteorite articles.

------=_NextPart_001_0002_01C3DA36.FADB21A0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><FONT size=3D2=
> <P>Paper: The Daily Chronicle</P> <P>City: Elyria, Ohio</P> <P>Date: We=
dnesday, August 07, 1901</P> <P>Page: 2 (?)</P> <P>FIND OF ANCIENT METEOR=
</P> <P>Laborers at Williamsburg, N.Y., Unearth What Appears To Be Old He=
avenly Visitor</P> <P>What seems to be fragments of a magnetic iron meteo=
r, which may have descended to the earth centuries ago, was discovered th=
e other day by some laborers who are excavating a cellar on Knickerbocker=
 avenue, at Cornelia street, Williamsburg, N.Y. The discovery was made at=
 a depth of 19 feet. It being necessary to remove a hill 30 feet high bef=
ore the sidewalk level was reached.</P> <P>Upon reaching a ten-foot depth=
 in the cellar excavation the men came upon the hard substance, and at fi=
rst believed it nothing but solid rock. Its extraordinary weight, however=
, made them examine it more closely, and when they cut into a large piece=
 of the matter they found the interior was a solid mess of iron ore benea=
th a surface several inches deep of harden yellow clay.</P> <P>The search=
 was extended further, and the men came upon a perfectly formed ape's hea=
d and also a ram's head. All the matter was turned over to Frank S. Schel=
l, the contractor, who will transfer the relics to some museum.</P> <P>"I=
t appears to me," said Mr. Schell, "that when this meteor fell, perhaps c=
enturies ago, it struck the earth like a shower of hailstone would. That =
the pieces are all ancient is evident from the hard yellow clay which sur=
rounds each piece.</P> <P>(Mark note: Once again using the must have refe=
rence guide, Meteorites A to Z, I could not find any meteorite having bee=
n found in New York during this time. Meteorites A to Z, also pointed out=
 to me, how few New York meteorites there are. New York being one of the =
first and one of the most populated states in America I find their 11 fin=
d/falls to their name, and most of these being rather small.)</P></FONT><=
BR><BR>Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of=
 meteor and meteorite articles.</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0002_01C3DA36.FADB21A0--