[meteorite-list] Meteorite Puzzle

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:02 2004

--part1_1d9.18685e8e.2d3840a4_boundary

Sonny, you are one fortunate person.=A0 It really is a puzzle in the true se=
nse=20
of the word, so I hope you never lose or damage any of the pieces ...=20

You have a lot of nice suggestions, I just felt the impulse to add my 2=20
centavos to the mix.=A0 Personally, I would be concerned with all the handli=
ng the=20
puzzle might get, and also the extra care and worry one might have depending=
 on=20
who was handling it ... kids, me, etc.

So I would just have some fun making a reproduction of each individual=20
piece.=A0 There must be some real experts on the list to do that.=A0 I would=
 probably=20
put them carefully in warmed shrink wrap (Saran), maybe carefully gently and=
=20
vigilently warming afterwards to release tension, coat it in Turtle Wax and=20=
let=20
dry, and then buy some plaster at the hardware store, use it moderately=20
difficient in water, in a slick container, set it half way buried, then lay=20=
another=20
level of saran or wax paper girdling the precious original's equator, and bu=
ild=20
up with plaster to make the top mold, applying enough pressure.=A0 Then I'd=20
remove the original from the mold, and if all went well, paint the inside of=
 the=20
plaster mold with a sealant that can be waxed, an use clay or portland cemen=
t=20
to make a copy.=A0 Then I'd be very proud of my puzzle cast from=20
extraterrestrial material and everyone could play with the puzzle as much as=
 they wanted to,=20
and the original could be held for special handling and displayed in a=20
sandbox, etc.

If the meteorite could be magnitized, or put on a strong magnetic base=20
(sounds like these are not the right things to do, but an idea to ponder any=
way for=20
a 3-D magnetic puzzle copy, for example), that would be a real conversation=20
piece and you wouldn't even need velcro...

Reassembling it, even in a very attractive exploded view like the example,=20
which I would definitely do with the second one if I had two original puzzle=
s,=20
would be restrictive for my tastes on my only piece, since I'd want to study=
=20
and enjoy it's inside conveniently.=A0 Actually, if it weren't my meteorite=20=
to=20
study as long as I liked, I might even like to see it that way most.

There are probably experts here who will laugh at my thoughts on making the=20
puzzle, if there would be a better way I'd like to be let in on it.=A0 I jus=
t=20
hope that it is not too risky and of course it is just as easy to practice o=
n a=20
piece of concrete and asphalt first to hone in on the best course for the=20
original.

Hope this helps.=A0 And if you become proficient and start selling copies, a=
=20
signed puzzle for me would be great on an otherwise uneventful day:)

Saludos, Doug
Mexico

En un mensaje con fecha 01/15/2004 10:55:23 AM Mexico Standard Time,=20
WAHLPERRY_at_aol.com escribe:

> Asunto: [meteorite-list] Meteorite Puzzle=20
> Fecha: 01/15/2004 10:55:23 AM Mexico Standard Time
> De: WAHLPERRY_at_aol.com
> Para: meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com
> Enviado por Internet=20
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> I recently bought a Gold basin meteorite puzzle. Should this be put back=20
> together with a permanent glue or is there somthing else to use . It would=
 be=20
> nice to put back together, but once it's glued thats it.
> Thanks Sonny=20

--part1_1d9.18685e8e.2d3840a4_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=
=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Sonny, you are one fortunate person=
.=A0 It really is a puzzle in the true sense of the word, so I hope you neve=
r lose or damage any of the pieces ... <BR>
<BR>
You have a lot of nice suggestions, I just felt the impulse to add my 2 cent=
avos to the mix.=A0 Personally, I would be concerned with all the handling t=
he puzzle might get, and also the extra care and worry one might have depend=
ing on who was handling it ... kids, me, etc.<BR>
<BR>
So I would just have some fun making a reproduction of each individual piece=
.=A0 There must be some real experts on the list to do that.=A0 I would prob=
ably put them carefully in warmed shrink wrap (Saran), maybe carefully gentl=
y and vigilently warming afterwards to release tension, coat it in Turtle Wa=
x and let dry, and then buy some plaster at the hardware store, use it moder=
ately difficient in water, in a slick container, set it half way buried, the=
n lay another level of saran or wax paper girdling the precious original's e=
quator, and build up with plaster to make the top mold, applying enough pres=
sure.=A0 Then I'd remove the original from the mold, and if all went well, p=
aint the inside of the plaster mold with a sealant that can be waxed, an use=
 clay or portland cement to make a copy.=A0 Then I'd be very proud of my puz=
zle cast from extraterrestrial material and everyone could play with the puz=
zle as much as they wanted to, and the original could be held for special ha=
ndling and displayed in a sandbox, etc.<BR>
<BR>
If the meteorite could be magnitized, or put on a strong magnetic base (soun=
ds like these are not the right things to do, but an idea to ponder anyway f=
or a 3-D magnetic puzzle copy, for example), that would be a real conversati=
on piece and you wouldn't even need velcro...<BR>
<BR>
Reassembling it, even in a very attractive exploded view like the example, w=
hich I would definitely do with the second one if I had two original puzzles=
, would be restrictive for my tastes on my only piece, since I'd want to stu=
dy and enjoy it's inside conveniently.=A0 Actually, if it weren't my meteori=
te to study as long as I liked, I might even like to see it that way most.<B=

<BR>
There are probably experts here who will laugh at my thoughts on making the=20=
puzzle, if there would be a better way I'd like to be let in on it.=A0 I jus=
t hope that it is not too risky and of course it is just as easy to practice=
 on a piece of concrete and asphalt first to hone in on the best course for=20=
the original.<BR>
<BR>
Hope this helps.=A0 And if you become proficient and start selling copies, a=
 signed puzzle for me would be great on an otherwise uneventful day:)<BR>
<BR>
Saludos, Doug<BR>
Mexico<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
En un mensaje con fecha 01/15/2004 10:55:23 AM Mexico Standard Time, WAHLPER=
RY_at_aol.com escribe:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Asunto: <B>[meteorite-list] Met=
eorite Puzzle </B><BR>