[meteorite-list] Boom, Poof, or Sizzle!

From: David Freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:04 2004

Dear Listees;
I came across an interesting bit of reading material that noted an area
here in SW Wyoming is used as a natural gas underground storage unit.
The formation has natural gas pumped into it under high pressure and
the rock formation acts as a natural "tank" if you will. This tank holds
over 110 Billion cubic feet of natural gas (picture an arasol can 10
miles big a mile down). We have another field not far to the east,
just as big, and major coal and coal bed methane occurrences in between
and all over the place, many being developed at a fever pace.
Now to the good stuff that prompted the boom, poof and fizzle......
If the surface injection wells, and the piping down to the depth of the
gas reservoirs were blasted by a meteorite like the Barringer Crater
incident, what would be the odds of an explosion of the gas being held
there? I am sure the gas would escape the "tank" formation. A shock of
this nature could unleash the coal bed methane in explosive levels as
well. There are over 8 major (meaning full capacity and 30" diameter)
natural gas transfer lines through this area supplying natural gas to
all of our friends in other states, we have 25% of the US proven
reserves (out side of Alaska that is).
Sudden impact barbecue possible?
inquiring mind wants to know.
Dave Freeman