[meteorite-list] New Mars Rock Hints At Past Water (NWA 1950)

From: Treiman, Allan <treiman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:05 2004

Hi, list --=20

   This article, and ones like it, have been going round for a=20
couple months, and need a bit of clarification.

   This meteorite, NWA1950, seems very similar to the Martian
lherzolites, like ALHA77005, LEW88516, Y-793605, YA-1075 (and=20
possibly GRV 9927). It is great to see, but (from what I know of it) is=20
not all that different from other samples we now have. Nor are =
lherzolites=20
all that rare among the Martian meteorites. Now if it were a true =
peridotite=20
like Chassigny - that would be rare!

   I see nothing in the data on NWA1950 that 'hints at Mars water.'=20

   The article says there are fewer than 20 Martian meteorites --=20
by my last count, there are 30.=20

   The article says that "And apart from Nasa, no other scientific=20
laboratory has had the opportunity to examine such a specimen ..." (like
NWA1950). This is just plain wrong. The NASA specimen they talk
about, ALHA77005, has been studied by laboratories all over the=20
world, including in France. Ditto the other similar meteorites not=20
mentioned by the article (LEW88516 and Y-793605). Part of=20
ALHA77005 is even curated in Japan!=20

   NASA does not keep the US-collected Antarctic meteorites to=20
itself. They are distributed widely, to every researcher who has a=20
legitimate scientific study. An international advisory committee screens
the requests, and recommends allocations of the US Antarctic=20
meteorites. =20

Allan =20

Allan H. Treiman
Senior Staff Scientist