[meteorite-list] Thin Section Photo's / Tucson

From: Thetoprok_at_aol.com <Thetoprok_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:09 2004

--part1_77.211daa03.2d45f77f_boundary

Hello Folks,

It's been quite a while since I've posted, I guess it's time to step up to
the plate!

I wanted to let you all know that my brother Rich and I will be participating
in the Tucson Show again this year. I'll be there from Jan 30 until Feb. 8th.
My brother is going to be there through the 14th of Feb. We will have our 451
gram (originally 638 gram) Park Forest on display and for sale. It can be
seen on page 25 of the July 2003 issue of "Sky and Telescope" magazine, and it is
center stage on the "Park Forest Meteorite" poster made by the Tomaselli's,
which is available in "Meteorite" magazine. I am going to include it in Michael
Bloods auction if I haven't waited too long.
We'll also have a few other meteorites for sale as well.

You won't find us in the meteorite corridor however, as that is not what we
are really there for. We can be found at the "La Quinta Inn" ( formerly the
Holiday Inn Express) room 133, at I-10 and Starr Pass Blvd. To visit us you must
pass over to the other side so to speak, and visit the metaphysical hotel!
How we ended up there is a long story, but it is a meteorite hunting story. A
meteorite hunting story gone awry! Some of you know about us, some know the
story, but for the rest, in a nut shell;
After about 30+ authentic meteorite finds, and several years of small time
collecting and endless museum visits, I followed up on a great meteorite lead.
Sept. 9, 2001, I went to a 5 acre farm where I was told a witnessed fall, and
recovery had occurred a long time ago. The rock was kept in the house for a
number of years and later lost after the old folks passed on.
Within about an hour and a half of hunting I recovered a stone that fit the
bill, setting under an old apple tree next to where the old house had once
stood many years ago. It was dark, strongly attracted to a magnet, and when I
struck it with a file, bright shiny metal was visible in a dark green, stone
matrix. Of course all the hairs on my body stood straight on end! I quickly guessed
the stone at 20 + pounds ... wow!

Then we joined the circus... I mean, then we began trying to have the stone
identified. This is no easy feat for a common electrician and a carpet
installer let me tell you! Since all my previous finds were already known falls I had
no experience in classification procedures, (and apparently still don't). We
started at our local institute where the geologist is an acquaintance of mine.
He decided we should take it up to Michigan State so we did. The Dr. there
gave me a phone # to a Dr. at Purdue, where I later had the privilege to meet
some outstanding Dr.'s in the field, like Brother Guy! What an honor.. anyway,
they decided it needed to go to the US Dept. of Energy for Al 26 testing, at the
same time we had mailed a small specimen to the Smithsonian in DC It
disappeared at the post office due to Anthrax, it was incinerated!
The U. S. D. O. E. came back with a heartbreaking conclusion, the good Dr.
said that he was so certain it was a meteorite that he tested it for 100 times
less Al-26 than he would expect to find in a normal meteorite, and mine had
none. "Therefore it is not a meteorite." When I asked him what it was he said he
"had no idea," "but there are a few places on Earth where nickel iron bearing
rocks can be found." I later found evidence to suggest that a stone high in
Mg is not suitable for the Al-26 analyses, this one is 6% Mg, possibly too high
for an accurate conclusion. I later had it argon dated at Univ. of Michigan.
It was determined to be 45 ma if terrestrial, 75 ma if extra terrestrial. The
Dr. that did the test was confounded, he expected it to be 4.5 billion, or
less than 100 years if an artifact. He didn't think for a minute it could be an
Earth rock.

Let's call this Part One, I'll tell some more of the story soon. It will be
fun, complete with a lying, stealing dealer, disappearing specimens, suspicious
goings on at some prominent establishments, The Elusive Thin Section, all
sorts of good stuff.

See, this is no ordinary chondrite, it's not ordinary anything! It doesn't
match any known rock, terrestrial or otherwise. I have tried to prove that it is
slag, I have tried to prove that it is terrestrial, and I have tried to prove
that it is a meteorite, and I have had no luck with any of them. This thing
has been looked at by many experts and remains nameless. I am not 100% sure
what it is. I would give nearly anything to have it written up and classified as
something.

The reason we are at the La Quinta Inn is because of the Cr spinel crystals
that reside inside the stone. They are little pyramids with a sphere locked in
the framework of the crystals. The crystal people think they are special, and
who am I to argue? When you see them you will understand. After more than two
years of research I haven't yet found a single mention of this crystal form
anywhere. Apparently it is in this one stone only, hard to believe.
Considering the circumstances by which I came into possession of this rock,
the fact that it is not glaciated like all the local rocks, it has visible
metal, and is predominantly made of pyroxene and chrome spinel, and has an
apparent one of a kind micro crystal dominating the matrix, I have to conclude that
it is probably a meteorite, or even rarer yet, a cr, ni, fe, bearing Earth rock
that mimics a basalt type meteorite. Of course I could be all wrong and
someone could show me a big pile of it tomorrow. It's possible, but I have my
doubts that will happen.

Open your mind and check out my "Webshots" site, it contains several albums o
f pic's. Most are of the stone that is in question, including thin section
shots with incidental light and polarized light. (The Polarized pictures are
compliments of Mike Shaw, who would be happy to take photo's for anyone with a
thin section.) You will also find some interesting micro shots of Mt. Tazerzait,
Park Forest, and Campo Del Cielo. I apologize in advance for some of the poor
resolution in some of the images.

http://community.webshots.com/user/microman108

See Y'all in Tucson!
Larry

--part1_77.211daa03.2d45f77f_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=
=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
; <BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>
Hello Folks,<BR>
<BR>
It's been quite a while since I've posted, I guess it's time to step up to t=
he plate!<BR>
<BR>
I wanted to let you all know that my brother Rich and I will be participatin=
g in the Tucson Show again this year. I'll be there from Jan 30 until Feb. 8=
th. My brother is going to be there through the 14th of Feb. We will have ou=
r 451 gram (originally 638 gram) Park Forest on display and for sale. It can=
 be seen on page 25 of the July 2003 issue of "Sky and Telescope" magazine,=20=
and it is center stage on the "Park Forest Meteorite" poster made by the Tom=
aselli's, which is available in "Meteorite" magazine. I am going to include=20=
it in Michael Bloods auction if I haven't waited too long.<BR>
We'll also have a few other meteorites for sale as well.<BR>
<BR>
You won't find us in the meteorite corridor however, as that is not what we=20=
are really there for. We can be found at the "La Quinta Inn" ( formerly the=20=
Holiday Inn Express) room 133, at I-10 and Starr Pass Blvd. To visit us you=20=
must pass over to the other side so to speak, and visit the metaphysical hot=
el! <BR>
How we ended up there is a long story, but it is a meteorite hunting story.=20=
A meteorite hunting story gone awry! Some of you know about us, some know th=
e story, but for the rest, in a nut shell;<BR>
After about 30+ authentic meteorite finds, and several years of small time c=
ollecting and endless museum visits, I followed up on a great meteorite lead=
. Sept. 9, 2001, I went to a 5 acre farm where I was told a witnessed fall,=20=
and recovery had occurred a long time ago. The rock was kept in the house fo=
r a number of years and later lost after the old folks passed on. <BR>
Within about an hour and a half of hunting I recovered a stone that fit the=20=
bill, setting under an old apple tree next to where the old house had once s=
tood many years ago. It was dark, strongly attracted to a magnet, and when I=
 struck it with a file, bright shiny metal was visible in a dark green, ston=
e matrix. Of course all the hairs on my body stood straight on end! I quickl=
y guessed the stone at 20 + pounds ... wow!<BR>
<BR>
Then we joined the circus... I mean, then we began trying to have the stone=20=
identified. This is no easy feat for a common electrician and a carpet insta=
ller let me tell you! Since all my previous finds were already known falls I=
 had no experience in classification procedures, (and apparently still don't=
). We started at our local institute where the geologist is an acquaintance=20=
of mine. He decided we should take it up to Michigan State so we did. The Dr=
. there gave me a phone # to a Dr. at Purdue, where I later had the privileg=
e to meet some outstanding Dr.'s in the field, like Brother Guy! What an hon=
or.. anyway, they decided it needed to go to the US Dept. of Energy for Al 2=
6 testing, at the same time we had mailed a small specimen to the Smithsonia=
n in DC It disappeared at the post office due to Anthrax, it was incinerated=
!<BR>
The U. S. D. O. E.&nbsp; came back with a heartbreaking conclusion, the good=
 Dr. said that he was so certain it was a meteorite that he tested it for 10=
0 times less Al-26 than he would expect to find in a normal meteorite, and m=
ine had none. "Therefore it is not a meteorite." When I asked him what it wa=
s he said he "had no idea," "but there are a few places on Earth where nicke=
l iron bearing rocks can be found." I later found evidence to suggest that a=
 stone high in Mg is not suitable for the Al-26 analyses, this one is 6% Mg,=
 possibly too high for an accurate conclusion. I later had it argon dated at=
 Univ. of Michigan. It was determined to be 45 ma if terrestrial, 75 ma if e=
xtra terrestrial. The Dr. that did the test was confounded, he expected it t=
o be 4.5 billion, or less than 100 years if an artifact. He didn't think for=
 a minute it could be an Earth rock.<BR>
<BR>
Let's call this Part One, I'll tell some more of the story soon. It will be=20=
fun, complete with a lying, stealing dealer, disappearing specimens, suspici=
ous goings on at some prominent establishments, The Elusive Thin Section, al=
l sorts of good stuff.<BR>
<BR>
See, this is no ordinary chondrite, it's not ordinary anything! It doesn't m=
atch any known rock, terrestrial or otherwise. I have tried to prove that it=
 is slag, I have tried to prove that it is terrestrial, and I have tried to=20=
prove that it is a meteorite, and I have had no luck with any of them. This=20=
thing has been looked at by many experts and remains nameless. I am not 100%=
 sure what it is. I would give nearly anything to have it written up and cla=
ssified as <I>something.</I><BR>
<BR>
The reason we are at the La Quinta Inn is because of the Cr spinel crystals=20=
that reside inside the stone. They are little pyramids with a sphere locked=20=
in the framework of the crystals. The crystal people think they are special,=
 and who am I to argue? When you see them you will understand. After more th=
an two years of research I haven't yet found a single mention of this crysta=
l form anywhere. Apparently it is in this one stone only, hard to believe.<B=

Considering the circumstances by which I came into possession of this rock,=20=
the fact that it is not glaciated like all the local rocks, it has visible m=
etal, and is predominantly made of pyroxene and chrome spinel, and has an ap=
parent one of a kind micro crystal dominating the matrix, I have to conclude=
 that it is probably a meteorite, or even rarer yet, a cr, ni, fe, bearing E=
arth rock that mimics a basalt type meteorite. Of course I could be all wron=
g and someone could show me a big pile of it tomorrow. It's possible, but I=20=
have my doubts that will happen.<BR>
<BR>
Open your mind and check out my "Webshots" site, it contains several albums=20=
of pic's. Most are of the stone that is in question, including thin section=20=
shots with incidental light and polarized light. (The Polarized pictures are=
 compliments of Mike Shaw, who would be happy to take photo's for anyone wit=
h a thin section.) You will also find some interesting micro shots of Mt. Ta=
zerzait, Park Forest, and Campo Del Cielo. I apologize in advance for some o=
f the poor resolution in some of the images.<BR>
<BR>
http://community.webshots.com/user/microman108<BR>
<BR>
<BR>