[meteorite-list] Cleaning Meteorites

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:09 2004

I think a distinction needs to be made here.

It's one thing to alter a Gao or Gold Basin meteorite
for appearance purposes. (I have to admit that I've
run tests on various stonys in cleaning solutions and
found the results to be very educational. But these
were always stonys with a very high TKW.)

But in cases where the stony is a possible
"one-of-a-kind Nevada meteorite", there are many more
factors that need to be considered. I think this
thread should now entertain a discussion about the
scientific merits in retaining the original condition
of such meteorite finds.

Speaking for myself, I never purposely remove caliche
from my finds. This even includes the Los Angeles
meteorite. And I'm so glad that I didn't, because it
turned out that a group of Swiss researchers found
that caliche to be of some scientific interest. In
the course of their testing it was revealed that the
caliche on LA001 came from the Mojave Desert.

As a result, I not only retain the caliche, but I take
a sample of the soil from the spot of the recovery for
all of my non-dry lake meteorite finds.

You never know what might be of "scientific interest".
And even if something like caliche may not hold any
interest for a meteorite scientist, that may not be
the case for other geologists. Like beauty, good data
may be "in the eye of the beholder"!

That's just one geologist's opinion.
BOb V.