[meteorite-list] Meteorwrong help?

From: Roman Nakonechny <uraninut239__at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:10 2004

Hi Tom. I have a hell of a collection of US STEEL processed metal chunks
and raw ore (especially the terrestrial gorgeous blood red, sometimes
orange/brown and even fluorescent bright yellow Iron Ores , from the 500Ft.
down level I was told by a Smelter bldg. worker 20yrs. back-half the stuff I
havent figured out yet. They share one common trait- they are all hard
-you'll have a hard time scratcing one but they do chip-off fairly easily.
Some have a black as night oxide coating. Some have a brown and light brown
coating, but they're not mine ore-they're processed rare earth
metals/elements -by electrolysis or what have ya.. You know , there's one
piece that has the dimensions 2+1/2 x 2+1/2 x1 inches , and you have to
struggle picking it up with your index finger and thumb- Yes, I do have
three more fully functioning fingers Tom. They sure have their differences
as far as hardness ,streak, weight in the hand (specific gravity).I wish
someone would show me how you test a sample for its specific gravity. My
pieces, that I found, as far away as 2miles from the USX Ore Locomotives
Tracks are all different processed metals for specific custom alloying
metals ,I think? I used to do some metal-detecting in this humongous
old-growth 300yr. old trees Pubic Park as Matteo would say, and I figure
some of the pieces had to have gotten that far and sometimes closer too, by
kids and adults picking them up and then playing (kids) and losing them .As
a treasure hunter you quickly learn to see how movement of underground
artifacts or above ground stuff like 100yr. old soda bottles might have
gotten where they did. But to answer your question it's probably a processed
metal ore. Do a streak test on it . Get a piece of broken or extra
porcelain tile or if you happen to find an old toilet lid , crack a nice
piece off for youself so you have a scrach pad- to do the streak test for
color. You can chip down the larger piece of lid to the size you want. Also
Tom, My 30 some odd pieces - not one is magnetic except for the Natural
Iron Ores. Later
                      G O O D N I G H T