[meteorite-list] Ensisheim 2004 - A Repost

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Z.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jul 1 06:35:08 2004

Hello Anne, Bernd, List

Interesting suggestion to offer a piece of Ensisheim meteorite to every new
inducted member. This was however also our primary idea when we started the
Ensisheim meetings in 2000. Alas, we soon had to give up, basically for 2
main reasons:

1) Ensisheim, when available on the current market (it actually is, more
and more) is still priced around $ (or euro) 150 to over 250 per gram.
Owing to our restricted budget and profits stemming from the show (entirely
devoted to the Confrerie "survival"), we evaluated that a purchase of about
0.5 to 1 gram of Ensisheim every year for 5 to 8 persons would be above our
budgetary possibilities.
Even Jean-Marie Blosser, "le Grand-Ma?tre de la Confr?rie" does not have a
fragment.
As collector, I got a nice slice in the past, as did Bernd this time,
through a personal purchase.
So here, for future inducted members, we just need a sponsor..or a donator...

2) Needless to say that it is totally unrealistic that we envisage one day
to trim fragments from the remaining main mass of the meteorite for such a
purpose. The meteorite was officially weighed in 2001 (for your records, it
weighs exactly 53.831 kg) and you may easily understand that it is excluded
that any fragment is removed from it any time in the future, for any purpose.

We remain flexible for other further realistic suggestions to offer
something related to the meteorite (photos...replicas...?). So far, this is
indirectly included in the "diplomas" the new members do receive during the
enthroning ceremony.

Best wishes to all,

Zelimir

A 21:38 22/06/04 -0400, vous avez ?crit :
>In a message dated 6/22/2004 11:43:46 AM Mountain Standard Time,
>bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de writes:
>There was Peter Marmet
>(from whom I purchased my little Ensisheim slice that he had once got from
>Anne
>Black - Anne just in case you wonder where it now resides :-) I think it
>is a "must"
>for an honary member of the "Ensisheim Confraternity" to own at least
>little slice
>of this historical fall from 1492 - in my case a modest 0.773 grams but
>beautiful!
>

>Of course!!!
>And I am glad you were able to get one.
>Maybe all members of the Confrerie should receive a piece of the Ensisheim
>meteorite when they are inducted. You could suggest that to Zelimir. :-)
>
>Thanks for the report and the news.
>
>Anne M. Black
>www.IMPACTIKA.com
>IMPACTIKA_at_aol.com