[meteorite-list] New Zealand Couple Rejects Large Offer for Meteorite

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jul 2 21:00:02 2004

http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20040702-060434-8591r.htm

Couple rejects large offer for meteorite
United Press International
July 2, 2004

AUCKLAND, New Zealand (UPI) -- A New Zealand couple have rejected
a hefty offer for the meteorite that hit their house and have
taken it off the market.

Phil and Brenda Archer decided the rock should be available for
public display, the Dominion Post reported Friday. Next week, it
begins a two-month run in the Unseen Worlds exhibit at the
Auckland Museum, and it is also scheduled for a space exhibition
later this year.

The 5-pound meteorite crashed through the roof of the Archers'
house in Auckland on June 12. The impact shattered the roof and
damaged a sofa.

When the couple offered the meteorite for sale, offers came in
from all over, with an American bidding $24,000 NZ (USD15,000)
and a Korean $50,000 NZ (USD32,000).

Archer said the highest offer was hard to turn down. "We're
both retired, so we don't need the money," he told the newspaper.
"But $50,000 -- well that's a new car for each of us."