[meteorite-list] Re: audio transmissions

From: stan . <laser_maniac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jul 4 15:17:13 2004

the atmosphereic pressure on mars is like 7 or 8 millibars - less than 1% of
that of atmospheric pressure on earth. in theory sounds could be recorded,
but they would be extreemly faint, and it would be likely impossible to hear
any sounds generated even moderate distances away. i guess thas why audio
transmissions were never considered a priority for mars. the hyugens probe
will travel through a dense atmosphere, so sound transmissions will be more
relevant as the probe should be able to hear noises made by things other
than it's self..