[meteorite-list] Shirokovsky

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jul 6 16:10:00 2004

Olivine has been widely used to protect the owens during the
iron-melting process. To me the most common explanation
is, that the melting-owen has exploded or been destroyed in some
other way in a very high temperature, the slag was thrown to the
lake on 50:s, and the divers found it, when they were searching
the "real" Shirokovsky (the bolide really exists).

Think there is no reason to belive, the material is made for the purpose
to sell it as a meteorite, and the finders really thought, they have found
a pallasite.

Anyway, the material looks more like-iron-nickel ore with olivine than
a pallasite to me.

Just my 2 cents...;-

best,

pekka s