[meteorite-list] Shirokovsky - Some Thoughts

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jul 7 04:15:23 2004

Paul,

Thanks for that, most interesting.

I had heard that it was thought to be some sort of furnace waste, the
thing that bothers me about that theory, is why would you end up with
Iron and Nickel in similar ratio's to meteoric iron?, if it was waste
from a steel furnace surley the Iron would be a lot more pure? And maybe
contain more cobalt etc - So unless it was 'made' how did the Fe/Ni
ratio get to be so 'realistic'?

As you say the 250 My age is interesting too, does point to the
surrounding rock types in the area, being the Olivine source.

Has anyone any photos of the original mass that was pulled out of the
pond?

(Was it 'furnace shaped'? per chance)

Mark Ford