[meteorite-list] Moldavite question

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jul 7 06:23:32 2004

Mark Bowling escribe:

>>I saw a seller selling a Moldavite as a "great channeling crystal".
THAT's OK.

>>Aren't Moldavites a type of impactite glass,
YES, ACCORDING TO MANY SCIENTISTS' OPINIONS.

>>and thus lacking crystal structure (amorphous)?
BASICALLY CORRECT, THOUGH I'D BET STRESS RELATED MICROSTRUCTURES ARE USUALLY
PRESENT SINCE COOLING WAS VIOLENT AND PRESSURES GREAT.

Hola Mark,

Your comment may unnerve a lot of believers, so let me try to come to the
rescue before they are driven to wanton chocoholisticism.

Today's Spanish Word of the Day: "Cristal". It most frequently translates as
glass, as in, the thief broke my window's cristal (glass).

So what comes easy in Spanish, we'll have to work a little harder in English.
 Pick up a good dictionary and see if "crystal" is limited to "oriented
molecules". Nope. It has the following meaning, too:

Crystal: A very high quality of glass ...

Moldavites may not be crystalline at a molecular level, but they certainly
aren't "Green Eggs and Ham," as Dr. Seuss wrote. Speaking of which, when the
real Dr. Seuss, a crystal expert, geologist and founding father of modern
paleontology brought the world the word tectite and first suggested they might be
meteoritic in origin, publishing on moldavites in 1901, he chose that word
because it means melted ... and being an Austrian crystal expert, I am sure he
wouldn't have told the great glass blowers of Austria that they weren't producing
the world's finest crystal. (Thank goodness, or they might have degenerated
into severe chocoholisticitis fits.)

So, then, that fine crystal on the chocoholic pusher's Rolex watch ...
crystal?=>> yes. high purity, _CLEAR_, glass. Just like Evian's crystal clear
water.

And what of that crystal ball? How does it work? Mystically as the tektite,
I would guess it channels energy to a receptive user. For the scientist in
you ... it might be as mystically crystal clear as the amorphous crystals used
on Mauna Kea, Hubble, Palomar, Cerro Pachon, Zelenchukskaya, ESO which channel
energy so well, astronomers never fail to have other worldy and galactic
experiences. I don't think an astronomer would trade his big glass for a high
quality quartz crystal in hopes of better channeling!!

Quotes by Green Eggs and Ham (T.G.) Dr. Seuss:

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells."
"Fantasy is a way of looking at life through the wrong end of the telescope."

Dr. Franz Eduard Seuss:

Biosphere and chocolate may peacefully co-exist.
Gondwanaland had a plague of chocoholisticism but that couldn't sink Pangea.
Plate Tectonics doesn't anything to do with melting chocolate or zitty
volcanoes.

Saludos, Doug