[meteorite-list] Nininger to Perry Letter; June 28, 1954

From: Mark Bostick <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jul 7 20:05:25 2004

(American Meteorite Museum Letterhead)
DEVOTED TO RESEARCH AND POPULAR METEORITICS
(drawling of Sedona museum)
BOX 146, SEDONA, ARIZONA
H.H. Nininger, M.S., D.Sc. DIRECTOR
Addie D. Nininger SECRETARY - TREASURER
C.H. Brandmeyer SUPT. OF CONSTRUCTION AND DESIGN

June 28, 1954
Mr. Stuart H. Perry
Newagen Inn
Newagen, Maine
Dear Stuart:
In keeping with your letter of June 24, I am sending to Henderson via registered mail, the principal mass of Horse Creek meteorite which on our balance weighs 154.8 grams which was as near as I could come to cutting it to 150 grams.
This is the solidest portion of the meteorite, other portions of which have tendency to be weak because of the abundant schreibersite lamallae, if they really be schreibersite which I still think they are, although i had never though an iron which such a high content of this mineral that could be cut so readily with a hacksaw.
The mass split along what seems to have been a reichenbach lamella which accounts fro the almost plane surface bearing some traces for the crystalline pattern. Your piece is the best of the fall and parting with it is a little like losing the lobe off one of my ears; but I guess a man can't have everything and we must pay out bills. The check will help here and the specimen could not find a better home.
I'm gaining back my normal physical strength very satisfactorily.
Thanks and good wishes for a pleasant summer in Maine.
Sincerely,
(signed)
H.H. Nininger
HHN: AN