[meteorite-list] Meteorite fall in Finland?

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jul 13 15:24:08 2004

Yes, can confirm that;

Boaters at the Gulf of Finland witnessed an unusual light phenomenon in
the sky on Monday night. This was due to a meteor shower rarely seen in
the area.

Rescue teams across the Gulf of Bothnia were inundated with calls
reporting red balls of light in the skies above the towns of
Pietarsaari, Kokkola and Himanka in central Finland.

According to the air-sea rescue center in Vaasa, these were not distress
rockets sent by boaters, but a type of meteor shower rarely seen in
Finland.

Witnesses reported seeing balls of light moving quickly over the area,
sending out sparks clearly visible to the human eye. Later they changed
into white light balls, leaving a trail of smoke behind them.

Finnish News Agency

http://ww2.yle.fi/pls/show/page?id=252672

Several pictures has been taken, hope to get some on the net in next
few days.

The shower was seen also in Umea, Sweden.

best,

pekka s