[meteorite-list] Images of DAG700 vesicles

From: j.divelbiss_at_att.net <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jul 29 09:38:15 2004

Adam and others,

Cool pics of a very interesting meteorite.

In short, Stan T(before) and Adam have asked "how do vesicles occur in a deeper forming magmas?" I think the inference is that fast cooling magmas from sources like volcanos are the typical source for vesicles in smaller crystalline igneous rock like basalts, and that the deeper melts or cumulates (with larger crystals) do not form vesicles. Now we have an anomaly in Dhofar 700 that is a large crystalline(cumulate-like) rock like perdidotite, norites and gabbros with vesicle like cavities. But why? (Note: I am a novice like most of us so I would love someone in the know to comment on this subject to help us understand)...here are some of my own thoughts.

1. Maybe conditions out on small planetoids are so different with less gravity, no atmosphere, etc. that this anomaly occurs with gas bubbles being formed way down deep in the cumulates?

2. Maybe the depth of cumulate forming rock like Dhofar 700 on a small planetoid is not so deep...allowing the gas pockets to form near the surface...like earthly volcanic basalts.

3. Was water involved, and are we looking at vugs that are related to vein materials? Is this material different than the average diogenite and possibly from a vein...is it much different from a mineral standpoint?

I hope the investigations are continuing on this very interesting meteorite.

John

-------------- Original message from "Adam Hupe" : --------------