[meteorite-list] Oman meteorite hunting permits

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jul 29 16:56:28 2004

Dear List,

The recent post regarding a lunar meteorite from Oman has me somewhat
concerned.

A quote from Ron Baalke's Meteorite from Oman post:

****
Scientists who've acquired the special permits needed to search for
meteorites in Oman and North Africa during the past half-dozen years have
been amply rewarded, Jull said.

****

What special permit is needed to search for meteorites in Oman? I know an
ambassador can approve removal, is this enough and do you even need
permission to search Oman? From what I have heard, customs will let you
declare them at the airport and do not seem to care. They seem to be more
concerned with the weight of your luggage and artifacts than unproven
meteorites. The reason I ask is that we are considering a trip to the area
but if these meteorites are not legal without a permit we need to know how
to go about getting such paperwork if it really exists.

All the Best,

Adam Hupe