[meteorite-list] Doing the right thing

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jul 30 16:05:49 2004

Dear List,

I see others are feed up with meteorwrongs being sold on ebay. Here is
somebody making his voice heard after being burned:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3239&item=2260392588

It is a funny thing that even after some sellers have been told, in no
uncertain terms, that what they are selling is not a meteorite they continue
to sell anyway. We used to pay the expense of having these objects tested
believing the sellers were misinformed but honest and found even with
official lab reports the sellers did not want to hear the outcome. This is
why we no longer test these objects, its a complete waste of time when so
many real meteorites need to be tested. If they don't believe members of
the IMCA or the List then the item should be ignored because there is a
99.9% chance it is not a meteorite. This is why it is so important to have
all real meteorites tested by an approved facility and provide
classification data to the buyers.

Adam Hupe
The Hupe Collection
Team LunarRock