[meteorite-list] Cutting lubricant/coolant and blades

From: Aubrey Whymark <tinbider_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jun 1 08:25:40 2004

Hi list,

I was looking for a suitable water soluble coolant for cutting meteorites with. Diacut sounds good but, so far as I can see, it is only available in America. Whilst I am am having some odd bits of equipment shipped over to the UK, I would imagine shipping a load of liquid may get expensive.

Does anyone know of a decent product available in the UK and a good lapidary dealer? I was wondering about the use of automobile coolant additives instead. At the end of the day they contain corrosion inhibitors and water-coolant. I could mix it with distilled water and use them instead..........maybe? I am not cutting anything rare or valuable and would, of course, give them alcohol baths and heat treatments afterwards. (with alcohol baths I have found that leaving them in excess of 2-3 days may result in break up of weathered meteorites - any comment?)

As regards blades, I understand from previous emails that Dean uses Pro Slicer diamond blades for cutting Chondrites (correct me if I am wrong). Are CBN blades better for Chondrites due to the metal content? - I understand they would be essential for irons as diamond blades are not good on metals. I will, however, be concentrating on Chondrites.

Any help would be appreciated. I am a hobbyist keen to cut a few specimens myself.

Thanks in advance,

Aubrey Whymark